Worth buying semi exclusive items?

Anestacia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Being able to say that an item is 'exclusive' may appeal to some peoples vanity.

But being exclusive isn't all that is needed.  It has to be of such a high quality that these vain people will be willing to pay the premium price that you would need to charge if you are going to recoup your investment and make a profit.

(Even though Vanity is a deadly sin, I don't think I've ever met any one who at some point in time and life did not succumb to it.  I know that I have).

Anestacia wrote:

I was wondering if it's worth buying a semi exclusive mesh template it does cost a lot they all do but I want to know if it's worth getting?

Personally, I say no. $20,000L for a dress of the same quality they sell for $500L simply because they are only selling 15 of them is crazy. It's not an exclusive item to SL. It's a dress/pair of shoes/whatever that is only made by that mesh creator. It's not like you can't get the same quality from the rest of their stuff.

It's akin to the new fitted mesh templates. Some creators have tripled their cost simply because its flitted mesh. Which doesn't fit all that well.

I would say definitely no.  I bought an exclusive only to find the very same items were sold exclusively a few months later under a different avatar name. There is absolutely no guarantee that anything is exclusive. The "gentleman" even admitted it to me and went on to say he was making lots of money on this and it was fun and also said 'where are the police, they not come and get me", "no one stop me". He was having fun scamming people. I called LL and they told me how to write the ticket. I wrote it, and they rejected it saying I did it incorrectly when I followed their directions to the "t". So I gave up and chalked it up as a lesson learned. One cannot predict the person behind an avatar on their honesty. It's not policed. Just like the TOS given in buying a full perm item. Many will say not to be sold under $$$$ yet there are many, many of them sold under the amount in the TOS. There is no policing to keep people honest. Just protect yourself when spending your hard earned money is my advice. Sadly many people look at this site as a joke and to scam people out of their money. Know who you are buying from in cases like this.

Obviously a lot of folks didn't read your question carefully and answered something that you didn't ask. That seems to be going around :D.

If your semi - exclusive mesh object is say $9000 (just a price I saw when researching someone the other day) and it is GOOD and you tend to sell your finished products (always important) then you can likely recoup the money spent.

The plus is that everyone in the world will not have the same looking outfit as you (I am a blogger so it is very obvious which popular templates are sold hundreds of times :D). So if there are only 10 it is likely that you will have FEWER ( not necessarily only ten) people using that template. You also usually get DAE files with these so that you can upload them under your own name.

Some very high profile designers use semi-exclusive templates. That isn't so apparent because you don't see the same dress or boots or whatever each time you look around.

So part of buying semi exclusive is giving your brand more of a feeling of individuality. If your garments sell for $500 and up it is likely good for you. If you sell at the $60 - $150 range then of course the answer is NO.

Just because an item is semi exclusive, it doesn't mean it is good. Do a lot of research and be sure and get a demo so you can test the fit and movement.

If you are actually new ( I didn't check your profile), then I would definitely suggest starting with regular templates. You can search on the Marketplace and filter for most popular. Those most often are the ones that work the best (fit and rigging wise). DEMOS ARE A MUST there of course.

Lynnie Michigan wrote:

Just like the TOS given in buying a full perm item. Many will say not to be sold under $$$$ yet there are many, many of them sold under the amount in the TOS.

That would be because a ToS does not trump US law. You can not dictate selling price in the US. You can suggest a price, but we are in no way obligated to sell it at that price.

ETA spelling

• 1 month later...

Buying “semi-exclusive” is a risky uncertain adventure. These are a number of questions you should be asking yourself prior to making a commitment and investing in a product. The two I feel most important are; Can you recoup your initial investment? Can you trust the seller’s intentions?

Trusting a seller’s “semi-exclusive” honor is always a risk. Expensive “semi-exclusive” full perm merchandise go on sale at 50% of the original price every day. I wonder if these sellers refund the few initial investors who took the risk of investing their capitol at the onset of the “Semi-exclusive” item being posted on MP …..I doubt it.  Not going to name any mesh designers, but I’ve noticed some of the popular mesh designers doing this lately. I see no problem with reducing a price for a “Semi-exclusive” item as long as the initial investors are compensated for the change in price.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly how exclusive is an item if they are selling more than one? Semi-exclusive, PFFFT! The only way to truly have something exclusive to sell is to make it yourself! And think about this... pretty much everything you design, using different textures, etc is really an exclusive design since what are the chances that someone else out there has the exact item that u created. So my thinking is that ALL that I make IS exclusive! DONT bye into it, it is a marketing ploy and nothing more!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.