Why a Mesh Shape?

JustineBlogr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

JustineBlogr wrote:

Can someone please explain to me why anyone would want to wear a mesh shape as their "permanent" look...they aren't customizable are they?  Wouldn't everyone look the same?  Do you think regular old slider shapes are going to be come obsolete?

Fitted Mesh shapes can be altered using the sliders, but only some of them.  The face can't be altered at all.  Rigged mesh shapes can't be changed at all just like rigged mesh clothes. 

I don't think the sliders will become obsolete, as there will always be people that won't use mesh or use fitted mesh.  In fact we may get more of them if LL improves the avatar and adds more 'bones' to it which mesh can be rigged to.  If they do, the question will be will it only be available on the new grid or with upgrade the SL avatar too.

I wouldn't wear a mesh shape at this point simply because I don't want ot look like anyone else. Other people feel differently and don't mind.  So it boils down to 'to each his own'.  Luckily people can make their avatars look the way they want them to.

If it ever got to the point I could shape it as I please and there was a variety of acceptable skins and clothes, I might consider it. 

• Like 1

I am not wearing a mesh body (hands and feet yes) but there ARE reasons why some do -- especially blogger and photographers.

The original "classic" avatar bodies were faulty in design and haven't been improved over time. Hopefully they will be on the new grid. I suspect though as time goes on and IF designers get on the mesh body bandwagons (there are several and some in the works) that they will become more popular. The bottom line is that they are smoother and don't have many of the ISSUES that our normal avatar bodies have -- again mostly for photography.

--||-
  • Like 1

JustineBlogr wrote:

Can someone please explain to me why anyone would want to wear a mesh shape as their "permanent" look...they aren't customizable are they?  Wouldn't everyone look the same?  Do you think regular old slider shapes are going to be come obsolete?

Many of the current generation of mesh bodies can be fully edited with sliders from the neck down and use the original avatar head which will behave as it always has.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mesh Project has a free full body mesh AV. I use that one if I want to get naked but for 99.999% of the time I only use prim hands/feet as a full mesh body is basically useless. Save your money, SL2 is around the corner and nothing you buy now will work in SL2. Lastly, if you want to see how terrible mesh has been implemented, feel free to look at my post here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Fashion/Giant-butts-have-invaded-SL/td-p/2816168

Unless you are a fatty don't bother with mesh clothing as they won't fit correctly and unless you plan on running around naked don't bother with a mesh body. Odds are you have already spent plenty of money on regular clothes, which don't work with mesh bodies. Why spend another truck load of cash on the overpriced mesh stuff [which never fits right] when the entire virtual world is going to be obsolete in about a year?

Wow you really have some issues with weight don't you O_o  Makes me wonder if you were the one being teased for it, or doing the teasing. Either way, in this post  and in your linked thread you come across as downright rude about it.  

You can use mesh clothes with mesh shapes. Most of them come with alpha huds to hide parts of your body so they can be used still. The free TMP body doesn't, but, it's free and a really great buy anyways since it doesn't cost you anything. The super expensive full version though comes with a hud with an amazing amount of alpha options. (I still couldn't recommend spending 5k lindens on it.)

For myself, I like the mesh shapes because I already preferred mesh parts to the mess of the system body. Most of my ava is made up of meshes, so finding a nice customizable fitted mesh shape was appealing because it got rid of most of the seams from piecing together my body. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.