What are some realistic fashion designing softwares?

Amethyst Jetaime

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The most used free programs for making SL clothing are

Gimp for System Clothing and Textures (does most of what PhotoShop can and has a wide variety of brushes, plugins and filters available for free)

Blender for Mesh Clothing (Not simple to learn but this program competes with many top notch 3D creation programs and gives high quality results)

These graphic programs are not specifically designed for SL clothing but many top notch designers use them for their original creations.  Both require technical skill, but classes are readily available in world and there are tutorials on You Tube and other places on the web. You can also ask specific questions about these in the forums here as there are many experienced users here.

If you are looking for a program specifically designed for SL clothing, there are a few such as AV Painter but they are not free and while they aid in design really can't be used as your only program if you want top quality results.

• 4 months later...

Gerlinde007 wrote:

Hello Everybody..

I am really into fashion designing, but I can never  find a realistic software.

If anyone knows of any fun realistic designing softwares (free).

So please tell me.

Thanks!

If you want realistic AND fun then it has to be something like Marvelous Designer because that's just lots of fun and can create fantastically realistic clothes.

BUT... it's not free and to be able to use with for items in SL then there's a lot more work that needs to be done.  It's not a one click method to have a finished product, you'd still need to:-

Understand the limitations of MD vs SL in creating a low polygon model

Import the resulting model into blender

(ideally retopologise the imported model)

Rig it to an armature and weight paint it for proper movement

Any other corrections

Having said this, if you're into fashion design and your enthusiasm isn't limited to creating for SL, then you will have an absolute ball with Marvelous Designer.  Here's a demo of the results:-

Sassy Romano wrote:

Gerlinde007 wrote:

Hello Everybody..

I am really into fashion designing, but I can never  find a realistic software.

If anyone knows of any fun realistic designing softwares (free).

So please tell me.

Thanks!

If you want realistic AND fun then it has to be something like Marvelous Designer because that's just lots of fun and can create fantastically realistic clothes.

BUT... it's not free and to be able to use with for items in SL then there's a lot more work that needs to be done.  It's not a one click method to have a finished product, you'd still need to:-

Understand the limitations of MD vs SL in creating a low polygon model

Import the resulting model into blender

(ideally retopologise the imported model)

Rig it to an armature and weight paint it for proper movement

Any other corrections

Having said this, if you're into fashion design and your enthusiasm isn't limited to creating for SL, then you will have an absolute ball with Marvelous Designer.  Here's a demo of the results:-

See to me I think retopogising something is waaaay more work then just learning to build it correctly in the first place. Why rebuild it when you've already built it? Plus to make it low poly from a high poly model you'll basically need the same level of skill as just building it the right way in the first place. I geuss it could be good for fleshing out ideas? But event hen a pen and paper drawing would be easier. But I geuss that's just me. To each their own.

Yes and no.

If someone chooses to model (sculpt workflow) in high detail then retopo, that's pretty normal.  There's no way someone would be effective in pushing vertices around that would be efficient in equalling what Marvelous Designer does.  You just can't manually position to the same degree as a simulated cloth process.

Plus, starting with a high detail model gives an instant start to baking the high detail to low with a normal map which we can now do.

I agree it's not necessarily easier overall, just part of an acceptable workflow.

As with anything, lots of tools and methods, pick one that works but Marvelous Designer is just FUN anyway :)

Sassy Romano wrote:

Yes and no.

If someone chooses to model (sculpt workflow) in high detail then retopo, that's pretty normal.  There's no way someone would be effective in pushing vertices around that would be efficient in equalling what Marvelous Designer does.  You just can't manually position to the same degree as a simulated cloth process.

Plus, starting with a high detail model gives an instant start to baking the high detail to low with a normal map which we can now do.

I agree it's not necessarily easier overall, just part of an acceptable workflow.

As with anything, lots of tools and methods, pick one that works but Marvelous Designer is just FUN anyway
:)

I'm sure it's fun and I'm not saying it's not an acceptable workflow only that the level of skill needed to lower the polygon count would be the same as that needed to create the product in the first place. I'm going to have to disagree that a person can't be as effectiant in creating a low poly outfit as marvelous designer. Especially if you consider the time taken to low the poly count. I would say it might equal out to be about the same time depending upon the skill level of the people doing the work.

I have seen many clothes in SL with the mesh layout straight from MD. High poly count and with that extremely strange polygon layout. It seems that some designers do love the easyness, forgetting what is the target world. :smileyfrustrated:

I always tend to check the mesh cloting item demo in wireframe to see is it efficient construction or not.  If it looks like straight out from MD - no buy.

• 1 year later...

I agree, Marvelous Designer gives really remarkably realistic fabric effects that just wouldn't be possible, or would take ridiculous amounts of time. I know, I've tried. :) ... but I would never upload an outfit directly from there. the real skill is being able to optimize 3D models for SL. It is work, but I enjoy the process. I use Cinema 4D to perfect my clothes and do the weighting.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering all the time you save creating fabric and draping effects on clothing with MD instead of trying to recreate the same thing in blender etc having to convert the mesh to quads and then lowering the poly on it still makes it an easier and more effective way to make decent looking mesh IMO. I found mesh really difficult to work with before I started using MD and now I actually enjoy it and my clothes actually look not too bad to say I'm reletively new at creating!

• 1 year later...

I would also recommend Marvelous Designer or CLO3D. Are you making a pattern or using a pattern to make a garment?

Optitex also is indeed is a brilliant piece of fashion design software!You can make a large pattern piece shaped
like a rectangle and use it as a drawing. I work with the latter plus Accumark and Modairs ( Diamino fashion ).

Very cool softwares, certainly something you would d be interested in to get started and design your own clothes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.