So, I want to be a model in 2015!

Passeando

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there,

I've been reading many posts on modeling in Second Life. Some of them saying how disadvantageous it is for people who want to model as a job and so on.

However, I still would like to be a model, and if possible, I would rather start this year!!

I don't really mind modeling without earning Lindens at all. I just have in mind that it would be great to represent someone's products or ideas by posing for them and other viewing eyes.

I'm not really wise on the subject, so could anyone give me tips on how to start, considering all difficulties/ challenges about modeling nowadays?

If there is anyone interested in a starter model I'd be glad to be that one posing as well!!

Thank you!!

• Like 2

I disagree. People who want to be bloggers become bloggers. People who wish to be models become models. There is often cross over but there doesn't have to be. There are several great modeling schools in SL that will teach you the basics such as how to walk if you do shows and how to edit your clothing or body to achieve the perfect fit. My advice would be start researching these schools and enroll in the one you like best.

• Like 2

MaisieMoore wrote:

I disagree. People who want to be bloggers become bloggers. People who wish to be models become models. There is often cross over but there doesn't have to be. There are several great modeling schools in SL that will teach you the basics such as how to walk if you do shows and how to edit your clothing or body to achieve the perfect fit. My advice would be start researching these schools and enroll in the one you like best.

And I disagree with this. This is kind of a dangerous advice.

Modeling schools are at best a fun roleplaying experiance and an obvious scam at worst. There is no market for models and no money to be made. Most people use their own avatars or ask friends, if they need some photos taken or simply let bot or alts do the trick. There is literally nothing such a school can teach you. How you walk? Thats newbie stuff. You wear any AO that suits you and press either w or an arrow key on your keyboard. Useing the sliders of your shape and putting on clothes is also newbie knowledge.

• Like 2

I disagree, Syo. Any decent model knows it's more than just walking around with an AO and tinkering with a shape. And it's not about roleplaying as a model either. There is marketing value in having a decent model/blogger to showcase a designer's works, whether that market's income goes to the designer or the model. For most models, it's a hobby. For some, it can be expensive when you don't have many sponsors or a secondary income to help you out.

Passeando, here is a link to a compilation of modeling schools in SL. My advice to you is to check out the free ones first; Model's Workshop and Fashion Modeling University (FMU). From there you'll at least get your feet wet enough to decide if modeling is for you. http://secondlifemodelingresource.wordpress.com/

• Like 1

You know I hear this a lot (any newb can do modeling), and to me this is why you have to know what you are doing.

Something simple as a walk can be critical if you want to show off a creator's piece on the runway without legs sticking out from a dress. Something like a pose can look awkward and displeasing if the right one isn't used for an outfit. Poses used for pants won't be the same one that are used for gowns.

What happens if there is lag during a show and your scripted AO is shut down? Would you know what to do then? A newbie wouldn't know. How about editing prims to fit the body correctly? A newbie wouldn't know that, either. I had a 31-day old newbie who wanted to be a model, and I was a hiring manager at a store at the time. She got SO frustrated because she couldn't edit a simple prim belt.

Using sliders to create a shape. Do you know how attached people are to their shape? Models need to be flexible so that they can make the creations look ideal - even if it means narrowing your hips here or widening your chest there.

Sure there are deisgners that model their own clothing, and then some of them wonder why sales aren't doing as well. They can't style (because simplying wearing an outfit without taking into consideration accessories is not enough), and sometimes they can't take a decent photo because they are looking at themselves subjectlively instead of objectively. And yes some ask their friends, but in couture shops many do hire models. There are modeling groups in world where they ask for in-store models from time to time. Models can be a great marketing tool because it gets a designer's brand out to a different market. 

There is a growing trend for models to have blogs - it helps develop their styling creativity. For good bloggers, I would even consider them loosely print models.

I wish you good luck Passeando and hope you find a good school to see if modeling is for you.

• Like 1

Yes, after you mentioned I actually found many blogs on the subject... I got some in world groups as well that lead us to read some magazines and fashion blogs that are very cool mostly. However I did find some models practicing runways, the schools are active and I met some old models as well, still having their activities...

Those answers are all very useful for me because they show different perspectives and points of view. I think this modeling is very subjective now and that everything depends on the inner objective of the one willing to model.

What I could see so far (I’ve been reading a lot as well as looking for schools, groups of models, designers and photographers as well) is that modeling can be REAL expensive! The schools have prices that are like knives on our hearts. By saying this I’m not disagreeing that enrolling one of these schools is waste of money or time.

The possibilities of earning Lindens are not much and they're difficult as well. I found out that models earn by winning contests of different natures, which is far dream for a beginner who still needs to get settled.

Regarding the learning part of the career, I read a critique blogger some days ago and I almost gave up my dream. He was not wrong, but he was really very rough in his comments about the mistakes made by what he called “new generation” of models. I guess he referred to newbie models. Well, after some time that I did shopping my motivation came back once again, fortunately -  that was like some 5 minutes after I read his article.

I can be self-taught as many other people, but I don’t demerit the schools. I’m even trying to enroll the free ones and have my wallet some shy lindens to enroll in another one in the future. I also love to speak with older models (when I miraculously have the chance), some of them give us advices in very warm way. I saw that this helps a lot too, as long as I’m respectful with everyone and humble as well.

The little I researched about the schools, I found out that the plus they offer for  a self-taught model is leading to runways and designers, having them interact with the others of the fashion world easier...

The practicing part of it is also very relevant for the schools, since I noticed that they practice a lot before performing.

So, to my point of view after reading all these comments, I see everything depends on how much one wants to reach it as well as the availability and dedication of this person.

I thank each and everyperson who commented rather here or in-world. It was very important really to know what you think and why you think this way, so I could sit back and conclude what is my point of view in all that.

Good Holidays to all!!!

• 2 months later...

Agreed. Modeling schools are at best for roleplay and a blatant scam otherwise. Some charge as much as 20,000L to "enroll" over the course of a few months. A friend of mine did this and despite all of the crap they claimed to teach (including but not limited to how your avatar should look) his avatar was a generic noob avatar, looked like a praying mantis in terms of size, had terrible proportions, and I would not have hired him had I ever been looking for a model. He looked like a ken doll with dark hair. It was terrible and I felt bad that he wasted so much money on something so useless.

If you want to become a model, set up a Flickr account, join a bunch of Second Life groups, and take some pictures of your avatar and post them there. You don't need a fancy "agency" or someone telling you what to do. Just do it yourself, gain followers, find brands whos stuff you like and wear it in your pictures. They might ask you to do some official modeling for them if they like your style, but otherwise just have fun with it and take pics of your avatar wearing things you like. You don't need to edit your photos either. I don't touch any of mine, I just set my graphics to ultra for the pics so they look nicer. I personally don't like editing those kinds of pics anyway because I like to present the products in the picture as they are in-world (but I also blog and have a store where it's important to not edit but that's entirely personal preference for other things). 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.