Relief with TMP

Bobbie Faulds

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, I found out today something that eases my mind about uploading my stuff for The Mesh Project/Body Shop mesh body. I was reluctant to make clothing since I had to upload my UUIDs to their servers. I was informed today that they have insurance on their servers so if they are hacked, creators will be reimbursed and they have an arrangement with LL that those UUIDs will be disabled as well. Of  course, to protect my other appliers, I'll be uploading the clothing textures twice, one for the inworld appliers and one for a set of UUIDs for TMP...shrugs...

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

Well, I found out today something that eases my mind about uploading my stuff for The Mesh Project/Body Shop mesh body. I was reluctant to make clothing since I had to upload my UUIDs to their servers. I was informed today that they have insurance on their servers so if they are hacked, creators will be reimbursed and they have an arrangement with LL that those UUIDs will be disabled as well. Of  course, to protect my other appliers, I'll be uploading the clothing textures twice, one for the inworld appliers and one for a set of UUIDs for TMP...shrugs...

A friend of mine had an issue with a borked purchase with their hud, it took 2 weeks to get a reply. Do you really want to risk your creations to a business with such well documented poor customer support? I don't.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

Did you see it in writing?

And I'm concerned about this "arrangement with LL."  If LL "disables" the UUID what becomes of items people had already legitimately applied the textures to?

Their is nothing in their TOS that covers their responsibilities and obligations.

I would never claim someone doesn't have an "arrangement" with LL, but I sure as heck will question the validity till they show it to me.  I don't know, maybe they are the ones who LL contracted to do those horrid starter Ava's.

Getting hold of the UUID's takes a matter of seconds with nothing more than LSL and the regular viewer.

Getting hold of the UUID's is trivial even without LSL and still using the regular viewer.

At least with textures for mesh, the UV map is specific for the object so the issue is rather diluted (in my opinion).

• 2 weeks later...

The idea of uploading two copies of the same image is a good one. I suggest also watermarking each a little differently.

As for the UUID issue - everyone in SL is already FORCED to know the UUID of everything that comes in camera range of them and gets viewed / loaded / whatever. UUIDs are not at all protected. There is no viewer that does not do this.

Having means to protect your work other than just trying to conceal the UUID would be wise to consider.

Giving the UUID to some third party that holds it out as being yours... might actually be useful if you ever had to wage a DMCA fight.

- I know in old school publishing, it was common for authors to mail a sealed letter of their work to themselves to get the postmark date as proof that they wrote that item... especially in the days when unscrupulous publishers would steal work, and claim a staff writer wrote it... then not pay the real writer...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.