Questions for those who design clothes for fun

SueThryp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is just for my curiosity. For those who design and make SL clothes as a hobby (even if you also sell them), I have a few questions:

1). How and why did you get started?

2). What tools do you use? Do you use mesh, etc.?

3). Do you make clothes that you would wear in Real Life, or clothes that you would only wear in SL?

4). Do you make lingerie, sleep wear, bathing suits, outer clothing, etc.

5). Do you show off your clothing creations? Where?

This is purely for my curiosity and as a result of discussions in SL with others.

Thanks

1). How and why did you get started?  Someone was griping about6 the lack of old-style mad scientist lab coats and I said I thought I could make one. 

2). What tools do you use? Do you use mesh, etc.?  GIMP, sculpties and the UV templates from various places. No mesh yet.

3). Do you make clothes that you would wear in Real Life, or clothes that you would only wear in SL?  Both. Some would be impossible in RL.

4). Do you make lingerie, sleep wear, bathing suits, outer clothing, etc.  Yes, all

5). Do you show off your clothing creations? Where?  Nope. I give them away as hunt prizes.

1. I got started because I thought of several looks that I just can't achieve with what's out there for sale. I was actually surprised that there are actually things that past creators never made!

2. I actually just started. I use Photoshop,  with some brushes and templates I purchased on the marketplace.

3. I make clothes strictly for sl. So far, I only have 1 outfit made, and a second one started, but I'm going for a more "primitive or homemade" look than anything I'd wear out in public.

4. Oops, I kind of answered two questions in one. It's primitive stuff, that uses multiple layers. So I guess both underwear and outerwear.

5. Not yet. I'll often wear the little bit that I made when i'm on my home sim. Otherwise, like when I go shopping, I choose to wear more conventional avatar clothes. This'll change when I feel I've had enough practice at creating.

I was getting tired of not being able to find the exate things I was looking for, so I started making my own insted.. And pretty soon I had friends asking me to make something for them, that they couldnt find either.. I started with making skins, but quickly ended up with making clothings aswell.. and items as plates, glasses ect..One day I had so many things in my inventory that I might aswell open up a shop with it in.. so I did that..

No mesh (yet) but I spend many hours in photoshop and AvPainter. Most programs are really hard to read up on when english isnt the first languid.. I am pretty good with english, but I tend to give up on instructions on 'how to do' a program.

3). Do you make clothes that you would wear in Real Life, or clothes that you would only wear in SL?

Lately I only do custom orders, so it is up to those that orders it what it shall be, but for my shop and items for myself, is mostly something that I would wear in real.. 

Madam, my avatar is an extensions of the real me, so it is only right that she would wear same as me..  I will show you a photoshopped picture of me and madam.. yes its photoshopped, it had to be or I couldnt be standing next to Madam, but the face is all real me..

I make anything and everything that ppl ask me for (IF I am capable) since it is custom orders. Both for men and women... personally I dont like jeans that shows half the butt but I do make them for my customers... Its mostly up to my customers and friends, what I make.. But I have made anything from weddingdress, gowns, tuxes, lingeri, sweaters, uniforms, fun sweet or sexy costumes, jeans, tops, bikinis ect.. ect.. I still got a lot of plans, however my real life has slowed me down for a while due to health issues.. But I got plans, I got many plans, just not the time for it yet... One day it will happen *giggless

I got two shops inworld, the main shop Lis'ten whichis located at our own land, and I got Lis'ten Exclusive, a minor exclusive shop that is located at the Tribute City, one of the most amazing sims I have yet seen..

My partner has a shop with bikes, and is also making helicopters + we are currently working on our website (click the banner below, if you want to see it, but it is still under construction) My #1 plan is thou to get all our items onto Markedplace... So lots of plans, but no time to do it at the moment.. But one day...... one day *giggles... It will get done.. ;)

We dont design to earn money.. ofcause we dont work for free, but the money isnt our drive.. its a just good bonus to help pay the rent. But we both started designing because we enjoy doing it...

Blessings

Lis / madam Martian

(PS: its me to the right *grinssss)

01 kopi.jpg

1. For a number of years I had been sketching clothing on pads of paper while on telephone hold or waiting for my case in court (I’m a lawyer). Then I got involved in Second Life, and decided that rather than just pencil and paper I could use GIMP and make clothes for my avi in SL. Now the only things I wear are things I have made.

2. I use Gimp to draw textures and then upload them. All of my clothes are “system”. Most of the time I upload white (sometimes with black parts) and then color them using the SL “edit” feature. I use the opaque feature in Gimp to make some parts semi-transport. For example, if my avi is wearing only a shirt and you look at her from the back, you will barely see bra straps. Lace on lingerie is usually an opaque layer above a highly transparent layer.

I do not use mesh, prims, etc. There is nothing wrong with them, it is just that for me it is easier and more fun to do everything in Gimp and upload.

3. Everything I make is what I would wear (or have worn) in RL. Because of my work, I typically wear professional suits (pants suits and skirted suits) in RL. Therefore that is large part of what I make and wear in SL.

My avi is an extension of me, so what I wear and make in SL is what I wear, or would like to wear, in RL.

4. Yes, I make lingerie (bras, panties, camis, slips), night gowns, and bathing suits in SL. Again, what I make is what I wear or would like to wear in RL. For example, I recently made and frequently wear a lace bra in SL that looks just like my favorite one in RL. I recently saw a RL bra that was a demi blue cup with yellow lace making it full coverage. The store didn’t have it in my size so I am now making one like it in RL.

Actually, bras with lots of lace are the most fun for me to make, so I have many of them.

I will add that I like realism. The straps on my bras include the things for adjusting the length. The back of the bra looks just like the back of a RL bra. (Same with other clothing. Dresses and skirts have zippers).

5. I don’t have a store. I do attend various events in SL, so the suits and dresses I make can be seen. Often that results in individual discussions with others about clothes. I would like to show off my lingerie and nighties, but, like in RL, I don’t know about places where I would only be wearing lingerie without clothes on over them. (If anyone knows of anywhere – other that “adult entertainment” places, let me know).

Mary Beth

Like many people, I wasn't satisfied with what I could buy and found out that I could make what I wanted;

I use GIMP to create the texture, then upload it. I don't yet use mesh or anything else. 

What I wear in SL is the same as what I wear in RL, including under clothes and outer clothes.

I make lingerie, sleep wear (pajamas and night gowns, and bathing suits. Must mostly shirts, jackets, skirts, and pants. I haven't yet done lace but I would like to. Sometime I will. I only have a few bras and panties. All are fairly simple but similar to what I buy and wear in RL.

Just by wearing it. I do not have a store.

Thanks for your answers. Since I asked the questions, I will also answer them:

Like others, I couldn't find what I liked, and the shopping experience in SL (like in RL) just wasn't for me.

I use Gimp, cause it is free. I do not yet use mesh, prims, etc. I am just starting out, so who knows where the future will take me.

Yes. The things I make are like what I wear or would wear if I could find, in RL.

I mainly make dresses (top and matching skirts), tops of various kinds, pants and a few jackets. I have made a few bras and panties, but fairly simple ones. No sleep wear or bathing suits yet (maybe in the future).

Only  by wearing them "in public" - stores, meetings, etc. I don't know of any place (maybe someone could suggest somewhere) where people (avatars, actually) model clothes they make and discuss them. My lingerie is something that in SL no one sees, which is one reason I don't make much. (just as in RL, only my husband see them. But in RL I like to buy very nice looking underwear and nightys, although the only one that sees them is me and my husband, and I don't think that he notices!)

Thanks for all your replies.

Sue

Well I started on the Teengrid when it existed, and we didn't have much to choose from. So I decided that instead of everyone wearing nooby clothing, I would take a wack at making clothes that I liked and that others would like as well. I listened to customers and I listened to friend's ideas as well as looking at magazines, (I now have an extremeeely large collection.) Making clothing is fun to me, I don't do it really for anyone anymore just myself to have things I would like.

I use Photoshop, and I buy Sculpties and Mesh components on marketplace

If I could have everything I've made in secondlife in real life. I'd be one happy girl. So yes I make things casual that I would definately wear in real life. Some things though not so much <3

I make outwear and Casual clothing, I've attempted at bathingsuits and undergarments but I never liked how they turned out.  

Flickr, I don't have much that I've made on it at the moment, I also have a store in world and marketplace.

• 3 weeks later...

1). How and why did you get started? found full perm clothes in mp

2). What tools do you use? Do you use mesh, etc.? yes only mesh

3). Do you make clothes that you would wear in Real Life, or clothes that you would only wear in SL? clothes i like to wear in SL

4). Do you make lingerie, sleep wear, bathing suits, outer clothing, etc. outer clotheing

5). Do you show off your clothing creations? Where? yes .. MP

This is just for my curiosity. For those who design and make SL clothes as a hobby (even if you also sell them), I have a few questions:

I have been in SL for a long time learning how to create buildings, landscaping, sim wide builds, and making other things for RP.  I have just gotten around to learning to make clothing while attempting to learn Blender.  I do it because it interests me, requires Photoshop skills I didn't have before, and I cannot find more modest clothing or what I need for RP. 

I use CS 6 Extended.  Currently purchase mesh and sculpt components from other creator, albeit am looking at creating mesh in the near future.

I make both. Clothes I would wear in RL are quite a bit more conservative than what I wear in RL. But, a lot of that has to do with availability; thus, why I design for a different kind of woman. Also, I have a fascination for costume so SL gives me another canvas to explore.

I general make outerwear or fantasy type costumes for themed RP

I only have a few pieces right now.  Clothing takes as much time and tthought for me to create as do my buildings.   I have them for sale at Plaine Jaine in the HHS-The Village in Villevotte. And, most I have for sale on MP.  Also, some of my newer releases can be seen on my blog. http://hellhousestudios.blogspot.com/  I am working on YET ANOTHER clothing creation tutorial for SL along with gathering resources to post to my resource page on the blog. 

This is purely for my curiosity and as a result of discussions in SL with others.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.