Photoshop Texturing, tattoo creation

RavenSkye Waverider

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I have followed Robin Wood's videos to 3D painting and the tattoo adding. I have Photoshop CS5. I understand the materials, how to use them, merging down the textures, etc. But there is something I am not understanding or not sure how to fix

Mind you, I have deal with this a week to figure it out. I am super stubborn to try and figure it out myself but there isn't enough tutorials to texture anything outside boxes and spheres in this manner :p

According to Robin's videos (and I am not sure if Robin is even here anymore), it shows how to place the tattoo where you want it and merge it down onto the model so that in turn it puts the image on an upper and lower textures automatically for you... which is great!

But, how do you wrap that around for example, from front to back, so that the line art of texture wraps it, without it smearing, distorting or fading out?

Here is my example (had to remake to show)

examples.png

First image is before, second image is placing where you want it somewhat like Robin's video, second is what happens after you merge it down. Is there a way to get it to wrap around and NOT distort? I am sure I am missing something. Heck, when I paint directly and merge it down, it fades out that as well.

Appreciate the help. I know, someone will probably tell me to do it in some 3D program. However, I had a job and I am way out of practice, was starting to learn Maya at some point...

Can you link the video? I've been trying to figure out the photoshop 3d thing for a while. 

Also, I imagine you'd have to bake it to the texture, then open the textures in 2d and fix the parts where it's distorted. Your seams should already be lined up from merging it or whatever, so all you'd have to do is fix the flat parts.

Anything put on the body like tats or system clothes is going to follow the bodies contors.  This distorts the image.  You have to distort your texture the other way with this in mind.  Make the parts that stretch out on the body smaller on the texture.  Use Local textures for trial and error, until you get it right.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.