Mesh Garments needed for testing deformer

Oz Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you are a clothing designer interested in getting the mesh deformer integrated into all SL viewers, you can help both make it better and get it integrated more quickly:

We need a collection of test garments that we can use to evaluate this feature, and to form the basis of an ongoing regression test of it once it is integrated. These need not be "good looking", and in some cases should not be (so we're not asking you to give away your best commercial work). What we need is deformable mesh garments, based on either the unaltered "new shape" (female), or that shape changed to male; the garments should be designed to explore the limits of the technology as well as to showcase the normal easy cases.

Some examples I can think of (but I expect that you as designers and fashionistas can think of more and better):

• a full length garment (ball gown, trenchcoat, kaftan)
  • garments designed to be close fitting around problem areas like the shoulders, breasts, and butt (or whatever areas you think are problems)
  • garments designed to stand away from the body in some areas (capes, high collars, flared or puffed sleeves and pants, hoop skirts)
  • very small garments that cover limited areas (gloves, shoes, scarves, shin and thigh pads)
  • garments designed to layer with each other (a close fitting shirt with a jacket to wear over it)

It would probably be useful for these test garments not to be textured for normal use — instead, give them simple high contrast patterns like checks or stripes that make it easy to evaluate how textures are altered by the deformations.

If you'd like to contribute items for this effort, please:

• Upload them with the current version of the official Project Viewer for the Deformer. You can find a download link on the test build wiki page, and record the full version number of the viewer you used (from the Help > About Second Life floater).
  • Put a copy of the garment (no-modify is fine, but please allow copy and transfer) into a Notecard that describes what the garment is intended to demonstrate or test. Links to images of what you think it should look like would be useful; be sure to include the version number from the viewer in the Notecard.
  • Send the Notecard to Oz Linden
  • Optionally, attach the mesh file to STORM-1716

I'd like to get Contribution Agreements from anyone submitting garments; contact me for details on that if you need them.

I will establish a way anyone can pick up copies of the test garments that we incorporate into the test suite.

• Like 3

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Awesome! . Glad to see this moving along to public vender beta testng now.
:)

Dilbert, don't get overly exited yet.  Oz added a comment.  As Linden Lab does not design clothes, they do need those garments from designers for deformer testing purposes.

Oz Linden commented on STORM-1716:

----------------------------------

Perhaps this issue really isn't all that important, or worth the trouble to integrate.

So far, only one designer has responded with one test garment.

Let me be clear - the lack of test material is a major blocker for testing, and therefor accepting, this proposed feature.  If you want it, step up and do it soon.

Thanks for posting this here, Oz.   Not that many people read the jira, and many of us who are following the topic there are, like me, watching it because we're eager to be able to buy deformable mesh clothes rather than because we want to (or know how to) make them.

I'll certainly do what little I can to help, though, by contacting some of the in-world designers I do know, or whose mesh clothes I have already bought, drawing their attention to your post, since they may well not read the forums either (I got the idea from Nalates' blog), and I suggest anyone else who wants to see the deformer adoptedas soon as possible does the same.

Hello Oz.

If you want the clothing samples to work with nothing better than ask for ones, nalates blog gives  a name that sounds good to start, influential blogger in plurk ask her to send a message to other desingners.

Im interested in the deformer, nothing special but i really think this is the project that if you guys get it right many things could change, in the other hand if you quit, well, we all know the story.

have a nice day!

Thx Cio. I have started an effort to get out a show of support for the Mesh Deformer Project. I'm not much of a fashionesta. So, I only know a limited number of designers. I am reaching out to those today.

I have a 6-step plan for getting a show of support up on the blog now (5PM Tuesday). Any help others can off would be appreciated.

See: http://blog.nalates.net/2012/05/08/sl-mesh-defomer-at-risk/2/

In the article I get into the communication problems we have with programmers reaching the fashion designers.

I am reaching out to other bloggers too.

Hamlet has an article up too, but he didn't give any steps for showing support. http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2012/05/linden-lab-needs-mesh-for-qarl-deformer.html I've IM'd him to ask if he would.

I am not a clothing creator so can't help out.  However I for one, and most of the people I know, are not purchasing mesh clothes unless and until this deformer is available.  I have purchased a couple mesh clothing items but it is a hassel to have to put on all the alpha layers, tweak your shape, etc.  Its not something you can instantly change into as easily as traditional clothing and certainly not in public places such as changing to particpate in a club contest.

I doubt that mesh in general is going to be widely accepted by  the greater community until it is either as clothing is the one item all avatars use and feeling positive about mesh clothes will go a long way toward fostering a good attitude to mesh in general.

So too all you clothing designers out there who want to see mesh widely used throughout Second Life it is in your interest to participate.

I am very interested in the mesh deformer. I have made two mesh outfits for women and one for men, but not using the deformer. I have stopped making mesh clothing, waiting for the deformer. I see no point in creating and selling clothing that I will have to redo, and try to track down customers who bought them pre-deformer to give them deformer copies. I have turned my attention for now to other mesh products, working like a mad woman to restock my store with mesh items so that when the deformer comes I can turn my attention back to clothing.

I don't know if I will have time to make something to test, but I will try to squeeze it in.

I definitely want the deformer to proceed.

O M G

I will definitely help LL with this cause I am dreaming to create mesh stuff but still understand that not all can make custom orders to fit the shape and it is a waste of money to buy standard mesh not for your shape.... So yes I'm gonna take part in this!!!

:smileyvery-happy:

The mesh deformer is not working for me at all.

Test.jpg

Am i doing something wrong?

--------------------------------------------------------

Second Life 3.3.1 (255595) May 3 2012 06:37:36 (Project Viewer - Deformer)
Notas de la versión

Estás en la posición 260.055,0, 131.428,0, 42,6, de Flymoor, alojada en sim2628.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.15.55:13000)
Second Life Server 12.04.30.255166
Notas de la versión

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ (2499.95 MHz)
Memoria: 2048 MB
Versión del Sistema Operativo: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) compatibility mode. real ver: 6.0 (Build 2900)
Fabricante de la tarjeta gráfica: NVIDIA Corporation
Tarjeta gráfica: GeForce 6200/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW!

Versión de Windows Graphics Driver: 6.14.0010.8421
Versión de OpenGL: 2.0.1

Versión de libcurl: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
Versión de J2C Decoder: KDU v6.4.1
Versión de Audio Driver: FMOD version 3.750000
Versión de Qt Webkit: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Versión del servidor de voz: Vivox 3.2.0002.10426

Compilado con MSVC, versión 1600
Paquetes perdidos: 88/21.568 (0,4%)

Eve Greymoon wrote:

Idk if they're identical but you can find them

Look for the file named Default Male & Female rigged avatars.zip.  I believe they're provided int hat package in several formats.

NOTHING personal... I just don't want to DL any files from anyone or anywhere I don't know (or even usually to click.) So can someone tell me, isn't it possible to just take the file from the SL folders we already have on our HDs? So much easier and safer, no?

I could swear someone told me that in the creation forum not long ago...

Coby Foden wrote:

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Awesome! . Glad to see this moving along to public vender beta testng now.
:)

Dilbert, don't get overly exited yet.  Oz added a comment.  As Linden Lab does not design clothes, they do need those garments from designers for deformer testing purposes.

Oz Linden commented on STORM-1716:

----------------------------------

Perhaps this issue really isn't all that important, or worth the trouble to integrate.

So far, only one designer has responded with one test garment.

Let me be clear - the lack of test material is a major blocker for testing, and therefor accepting, this proposed feature.  If you want it, step up and do it soon.

It is a societal problem. Everybody these days just wants their own piece of the pie. Nobody wants to contribute the fruit or flour or eggs, y'know?

I couldn't care less if someone in the project uses a dress I send in. I will send it in full perms. It might take me a year to make it but it will be there to help.  :D 

Henri Beachamp, in the latest Cool VL Viewer release notes, says:

Please, note that since v0.3 is out, the mesh deformer seems to suffer from an issue: the deformer-ready meshes are only deformed properly the second time they are worn in the session (i.e. you have to wear the rigged mesh, take it off and wear it again). Qarl has been made aware of this issue

That might be worth investigating;

Thanks for the tip Innula, I just gave another try. I used different test garments (I picked them from Hippo Hollow), in two different shapes (male and female). I tried both "wearing" and "adding" several  times, I have an huge FPS drop for like 10 seconds (from 6-7 to 1-2 FPS, some items takes more than others) but i see no deformations. I am using the project viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.