Logistical Question

PsyberMind

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This may be in the wrong forum, and if it is, feel free to move it...

From a logistical standpoint, how do you get started as a designer.. I mean, do you lay out a spreadsheet of the colors/fabrics of the garments you want to make to sell? Do you just go with the basic colors? I've picked up a few full perm mesh kits that I want to start working with, just to get a feel for the process while I learn 3d modeling better.. So I want to start selling these kits (with my own textures, obviously) I have some people willing to "Walking Billboard" for me, to hopefully get my name out there.. but I'm stuck on how many/what options to put out there to start with..

Asking how to make art is never a good way to start as a "designer"
There is not much you can say, you just have to see it. Look at the clothing and say "what would make this better"
You can try using websites such as :http://colorschemedesigner.com/

And then use those colors in different patterns and layouts to create something unique. 
It really comes down to what can you think of that interests people

Look at it as a game, pick up few colors and items you like and play with it:) First chose few of your favorite colors, add few that you know your friends like and go with that. If you notice some of them sell better make a note and always include those. Try different things and always try to please yourself, do whatever makes you happy. Its the only way to enjoy the whole process. Good luck!

Black is probably the most popular choice, so you should include that in your color variations.  For other colors try offering something beyond the usual red, blue, etc.  After you've been in SL for a while, there are only so many red dresses that you  want, but if i see a nice outfit in a unique color i'll probably buy it.  I think many established avatars would too am.

Thank you for the tips.. I've decided to take one of the models I've aquired and start by making a spring line. So far from my friends, and a few outsiders, the first couple of designs have been well accepted,so we'll see what happens.

One more question, is there a way that anyone can think of, to streamlining the process of getting things ready to sell? Right now, my workflow consists of rezzing out a copy of each model (sizes), linking an invisiprim to it, dragging each texture to the model, taking back the model, moving it to a folder.. granted that once I get into the swing of it, it's rather quick to do, but I would think that there would be a more simplified way of doing things.. Espeically when I have 4-5 designs to prepare at once..

PsyberMind wrote:

One more question, is there a way that anyone can think of, to streamlining the process of getting things ready to sell?

That's the quick part, wait until yo come to do all the adverts and Marketplace listing!

Depending on what you do there are other ways such as via script where you could inject a script that replicates the object and for each replica pulls in a different texture but to be perfectly honest, unless you have the skill to do that script it's not going to be worth it, plus there's the overhead of writing that script compared to just doing it.

The other thing, I wouldn't ask friends for an opinion unless you know they are genuinely going to be critical.  It's a nice "feel good" if they say they like it but it doesn't usually carry much weight when it comes to whether something is marketable.

Go to market, ask random people what they'd pay for it were it offered for sale.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.