Jeans Help

buubbleguum Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm trying to make some jeans to sell in an outfit along with a top I made and some sculpt jewlery. I'm happy with the top and jewlery, but I just can't get the jeans right!

I got a texture from a photo of some jeans and repeted the texture all over the jeans. I then hand drew the seams and shaded but for some reason it just doesn't look as good as I would like them to look. I would really love to get them looking really high quality, but I'm not sure what im doing wrong. 

I would really love it if i could create a pair of jeans like these without having to buy a template, im a little short on Lindens ;)

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Unlikely-Sexy-Lowrise-Jeans-Full-Perm-PSD-Kit/6528

Obviously I don't expect my jeans to look THAT good first try, but some tips would be really great! :D

Here's a picture of the jeans texture:

Jeans.png

I think you're losing detail at the side seam. Remember that this is going to be wrapped around a rounded object so you don't have to do all your "roundness" with shading. If you look at the texture from the template the center of the legs is lighter but that's just the wear pattern that jeans tend to get- the side seams return to being light because you'll actually see that flat against the sides of the legs. Try flattening out a pair of RL jeans and basing your shading on that.

Well for your first pair of jeans you're off to a good start! Based on the picture it definitely shows you know about shading and detail. I agree with Theresa, take a pair of jeans from your closet in RL and lay them flat. What is there that isn't on yours? Where does the light hit to create depth and shading?

A few things that I can see, in my opinion, is the seam below the zipper is missing. That seam also goes to the back of the jeans and ends up in the middle of the rear end. To make the pockets and belt loops stand out more you would need to create a little more shading and highlights on and around them so that they look almost 3D. You can create the highlights and shading and set that layer as an overlay and then burn and dodge as needed to get the desired look.

While you don't have to make your jeans look exactly like the templates you posted, it won't hurt to pay attention to the detail of them so you can have a better idea. Jeans templates like in the link you posted isn't something you do in one sitting. I'm sure the creator spent many days and hours on that to get it they way he/she wanted. Just take your time and I'm sure the end result will be good!

• Like 1

I'm sure the creator made the jean template themselves (and looks like what they specialize in is templates) so I highly doubt that the creator wouldn't just give away their template. I don't think they would be selling the template as their own if they used a template to make it if that makes sense.

true but i still feel if the use is just for yourself then there would be no need to not get a template for pants.

thus this discussion is for a resale pair of jeans. so im lost on now. unless you can get help from that creator on how to make a decent yet not as good as hers template to make.

They really don't look too bad although a photo of them being worn would be helpful.

Some small tweaks maybe? Make the stitches smaller, put creases from the bottom of the zipper outward horizontally maybe? The wrinkles in the fabric seem a little high up.

Maybe make the weave of the jeans smaller. There is a setting in paint shop pro that makes a really nice fabric weave, I don't remember the name of it tho. The problem with photosourcing and using the clone button/blend is you lose tons of detail. The fabric is a little blurry maybe.

But really not bad at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.