How to tweak appearance settings (advanced or debug?)

Oceane Grumiaux

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I do find it utterly annoying that everytime when I make something and go in appearance I have to do 'save as' and afterwards jump back automatically to the previous screen while I still have another 100 or more layers to make. Last week I visited Virtual Life and noticed that the viewer there has the old way of creating clothes etc.  The old way was soooooo much easier and time saving. I wonder if I could tweak that in the debug settings? I use Firestorm btw.

I have been in SL almost 10 years and have been creating clohing for pretty mush the whole time, to date.  I am afraid I don't quite follow what you mean..  100 layers of what?  I Use Firestorm now as well, and I save as all the time,  I do not have to jump off appearance and back in,  while still on I simply save as then hit create new layer and carry on.  Perhaps if you could be more specific it would help me to understand exactly what you mean.  

I am sorry for the, apparently, bad English. With layers I meant what I said: layers. As in make-ups for instance, which are tattoo layers. If it's a 100, or 25 doesn't matter, I just meant it's a lot to make at once. Like you, I am a designer, I started in 2007. There is a difference between the old way of creating clothes, makeups and skins and the way we use for several years now. Hopefully the pictures make you understand what I mean. 1: I usually make a tattoo layer (or skin or whatever) wear that and then choose edit. In this example I want to make a demo of the make-up I created. I pick the Layer (1) then edit (2), load the texture and do 'save as'. When it's saved I am back at the same point as in picture 1.In the old viewers (ages ago) you could just stay in edit mode. This is why i want to know if that is still possible with advanced settings.     example.jpg

I think I understand what you are saying but I think you are missing something on the Edit window..  I just tried your adding tatoo layers as you describe it only I did not have to come out of edit mode each time at all.. I stayed in edit mode and created 4 new layes then tried it again and edited the same 1 layer 4 times without ever getting off edit mode.. 

here is what I did:  go into appearance,  in the edit window select the layer i want to work on or make a new one,  or make a whole new one..  once I have the let's say tatoo layer open I edit or change the colour etc,  then click save as and it is saved.  I am still on the edit pose and the window is still open,  so to do the next one I click the ittle gear thing at the bottom left side and  select new a little window pops up and I select tatoo again and a second tatoo layer window appears,  and I edit that the same pick save as,  and am still in the edit position ..  to do a third I just click that gear select new and another tatoo layer,  you can do this infinitely without gettin off the edit post.  If you don't see the little gear at the botom after saving you simply click the arrow at the top left where it says editing outfit and that brings it all back up for you to click the gear and select new and your new layer.  I can make a whole outfit top - pants - underwear - and tatoos 2 or 3 even   without ever getting off the edit pose.  

So the sequence is this go into appearance;  either create a new layer from the little gear thing or edit one you already have on,  make your changes,  save as,  click the arrow Editing Tatoo (or what ever layer)  this brings you back to the main edit window, pick the gear at the bottom and select new tattoo for another layer or go back don't pick that if you want to add to the layer you were previously working on in that case pick it again change your texture and save as again.  This will make a new layer if only want to save changes but want to keep the same layer then hit save at the top instead of save as..  either way you remain on the edit pose and have the option to pick another layer- the same layer - or create a new one.  And you can do this all day with out ever getting off the edit pose.  Save as creates a new layer;  save changes the layer you are working on.  Either way you can keep making as many changes as needed without ever getting off the edit pose.

It is pretty fast and simple to me..  it' is just knowing which to do for what you want to do.. it's all there..  Try it and message me privately if you are stuck I can meet with you in SL and help you if needed.:) 

And there is also a button called "add more"  which will bring up every tatoo you have already got in your inventory,  if you want to change any of those just click on it and it will come up in the edit window.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.