How to fit mesh clothing?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought a lovely mesh dress.  I liked it so much that I was willing to change my mind about never changing my shape to fit clothing.  There was no way the top was going to look right with just an alpha mask[ if it was going to fit, I needed to alter my shape, which I did, and I was pleased with the result. Since there was only a little hip showing through on each side, I decided that, having already made a special shape for ther dress, I may as well alter my hips to fit it.  Surprise!  I could not do it.

Heere is what it looked like before I changed anything:

Red Dress 1_001.jpg

Here is what it looked like when I reduced hip width to 0:

Red Dress 2_001.jpg

And here it is with hip width set at 100:

Red Dress 3_001.jpg

Can someone expalin why adjusting the hip shape did not work while adjusting the breast shape did?

Thanks.

• Like 1

The problem is that you need to wear a larger size. You'll have to choose one that covers your  hips and then wll probably have to enlarge your bust too.  If the dress is done in the so called 'standard sizes' then you can refer to the setting for the sizes to see what the settings should be.  Alternatively, you could get an alpha layer that covers the hips to eliminate the peek through.  I'm pretty sure I saw a pack of basic alpha templates or layers on the marketplace if you don't know how to make one.  There is a standard size information kit on MP also that gives you the settings you need to fit each size too.

Thanks, Amethyst.  I know how to solve the problem with an alpha mask, and, in fairness, must say that one came with it.  However, I am trying to understand why when my breast sticks through I can make it smaller and fix the problem, but when my hip sticks through, that won't work.

The reason I chose the size, XS, was that the top fits in back; anything larger leaves an unsightly gap between the back of the dress and my back.

Mesh is rigged to the bones, not the body morphs.  So because you're moving the bones in the pelvis, the dress over the hips is going with it.  The breast is just body morph (soft bits), there are no breast bones :)

At present, you become the shape of the clothing and not the other way around so you have to either wear something so ridiculously large it doesn't matter or you have to wear an alpha layer.. OR have something custom made for your shape.

We're all waiting for the mesh deformer which will shrink wrap mesh clothing *made to work with it* to your own shape.  (It's a bit more involved than that, but that's the desired effect).

Until then, I won't make mesh clothing or buy it because the results are undesired.

• Like 2

The settings for hips are not absolute, but in proportion to your avatars overall size and body fat.   A zero setting for a 6m tall avi will still result in larger hips than for a 5m tall avi. Body fat works pretty much the same way.

I know exactly what you are going though. None of the so called standard sizes fit my entire avatar.  I've bought very few mesh clothes as a result, only 5.  I won't change my shape. Alpha's only work for me if the shape of the mesh garment is loose or isn't radically different from my own shape, otherwise my body will still look different.

Don't adjust the hip width.  It affects the bones and the dress will follow that setting.  Instead adjust the Saddle Bags which affects the body fat in the hip area.  The dress will not follow this setting.  So going lower in saddle bags setting you should be able hide your hips inside the dress.

• 2 weeks later...

If the dress is done in standard sizing, there should be a notecard in the package with the sliders you need to change. Here are the XS sliders and whatthey need to be set to

-XS
Body Fat: 5
Torso Muscle: 31
Breast Size: 48
Love Handles: 25
Belly Size: 2
Leg Muscle: 45
Butt Size: 34
Saddle Bags: 30

If you need another size search 'standard sizing package' on marketplace the sizes are listed there.  You may have to slightly tweak a few of these, I find I often have to take the saddlebads or love handles down just a tiny bit from what's listed.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

I'll try that, Coby.

ETA:  I did try it, and the
love handles
worked as described, but the area affected was well above the area I needed to change.

Did you try the Saddle Bags?  That area is lower than the Love Handles.

• 2 weeks later...

Wear the hips alpha?

It's deformed rigged mesh, means it will auto resize with certain bones of your avatar, eg hip width, even if you reduce hip width to -999 it will still clip. Either you forgot to wear the hips alpha, or you need to adjust other measurements on your shape in addition to hip width, ones that are not linked to the mesh rig.

Shelby Silverspar wrote:

forgive my ignorance, I haven't tried any mesh clothes yet - but wouldn't a glitch pants layer fix this?

Only if the the glitch pants texture matches perfectly with mesh texture some acceptable result will be obtained.  In a similar manner as with prim and sculpted prim clothings.  However obtaining that perfect texture match could be very difficult one to achieve.  And however perfect the match is in a certain lighting, in some other ligting conditions the matching may not be perfect.

Thus, if the mesh does not fit well for the body shape, it's easier to hide the avatar body parts under the mesh clothing than to try to match the underlying system clothing texture to the mesh clothing texture.

• 3 years later...

Your post and its replies are very helpful to a mature SL lass who has been absent for a year or so and on return is looking at a new mesh body.  Think I will retain my traditional head and character.

Firstly you look absolutely stunning and maybe the dress designer is at fault for not providing you with a finished gown to allow the display of naked hips if you so wish.   Perhaps these problems could me made into selling points for completely new mesh fashion dresses and minimise hassle.

For me I want to retain my lovely wardrobe of expensive fashion creations and so my traditional body will be kept in use fordressing up.

Most of my time is spent at naturist resorts or at sea so I guess my mesh body will be useful to keep up to date on fashion and other improvement.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.