How do you make skin have a natural glow?

Karina Kingsley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can't do anything without a tutorial to follow. :(

I don't add on so much stuff because I play with windlight settings instead. This tut looks good. http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/soft-focus/http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/soft-focus/

You can google all sort of effects and use it with SL photos. I do it all the time, looking for a tutorial that is easy enough to follow.

If you can't afford PS, I like Picnik a lot. Using the Orton-ish effect can give nice results, especially if you try to pull the sliders and add to brightness and also let it fade 50-80%.

Edit: Sorry, for some reason I thought it was about photography. 

the problem is, there aren't necessarily 'tricks' of the trade.

getting good at skin creating is hard, and requires a pretty high level of drawing skills, familiarity with the human body, musculature, how light and shadow work and throw in a good amount of skill with the software, as well as a huge amount of trial and error. learning the software alone is a big undertaking and can't be taught on a forum, but Chosen Few certainly did educate many people here. I'd search for Chosen's posts and read them all, definitely worth the effort.

there isn't just one easy answer, everyone has their own work flow and level of skill and experience with digital software; and also how much time and dedication they are willing to put into learning it. being good at doing something doesn't mean you are naturally good at teaching it, either. the ones who are making good money in SL in the skin trade are not spending much, if any, time here in these forums either.

I agree with all of that.

It would still be nice. :)

There are little tricks such as on Mermaid Diaries with how to make silk fabric texture.

There is a program out there which can make any texture seamless (I have it, I don't remember its name offhand, but in my experience, it has yet to work perfectly.) But it would probably be easier to learn how to do it perfectly on one's own. I know there's the thing about taking parts of the texture and swapping them around or something. It all seems so convoluted. It seems like there should be a way to draw them on it to begin with.

I found a way in Photoshop but then it makes the prim see-through when that texture is put on a prim. :(  But it's something about drawing in 3D. Wouldn't that be the way? Make it so that the person draws beyond where the borders will be, and then the program wraps the drawing in on itself seamlessly. Without making it an alpha.

A lot of tutorials assume the person knows their way around the program tools and this is not always the case. It's a pro talking to another pro who probably doesn't need the help then.

Just little things like "I move the brush to 45 percent opacity" can go a long way. It won't compete with the teacher because there is still talent and overall skill to have or not.

*sighs*

the offset filter in photoshop can help make a  seamless texture, but you will have to manually repair the areas that "touch" when the image is offset. I can walk you through it if you want, either PM me or message me in-world, or you can  just search (google, youtube) for 'seamless texture making' or 'offset filter' and watch or read one of the tutorials.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.