How come my joined objects won't rig with my main object? :(

Antumbra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a pair of shorts and I made pockets, belt holes, button, etc. and joined it with my pants and then when I try to attach to parent with automatic weights the only thing that has weights on it, is my pants, my pockets and everything else is just there and it ruins everything. Why is this? :( Is it because of the way I joined the objects? Don't you just push ctrl+J and that's it? it all becomes one object? or.... is there another way of doing it? because idk what to do :( 

Probably better placed in the mesh forum but just to ask, is this an item made in marvelous designer?

If it is, when you export, be sure to choose the option to "weld vertices" then it will weight as normal.

I'm not sure what the "rules" are for how blender automatic weights works such that it stops at a set of vertices even though other other objects are linked but it does appear to stop at object and disregard unconnected vertices.

Welding will merge the adjoining vertices of your parts into a merged set of vertices if that makes sense?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.