Guys clothing: What'cha think?

Princess Verwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you have been in SL any amount of time you would already begin to notice that there is a much more wide array of female clothing then male. Espically when it comes to variety.

What sort of male clothing are you tired of seeing being made for males?

What types of clothing do you wish there was more of for the guys?

I've had this same question for years but it has gotten a lot better than it was 5 years ago.  Where we once only saw Gansta, Biker and Fantasy clothing, as of the past year or so, we now have some Normal clothes for men that mirror what one would wear in RL.

Truth is, the Gay males in SL have got it going on for fashion and design. Sorry straight guys, but you should at least check out their stores and stop dressing like wanna be bad boys.  A girl likes a well dressed man.

Well you always see the big, barrel-chested guys going around shirtless with leather pants and boots. That gets a little tiresome. But really, as long as they put some effort into how they look...good for them. Whatever style they like, go for it. Most men are just as - f not more -  particular about their looks in SL as women are. My boyfriend loves his biker/goth clothes. He likes very 'masculine' looking clothes. He likes jeans and leather jackets mostly. He's also my RL boyfriend, so I've noticed when I've gone shopping with him, he's very particular about the kind of shirts and pants he wears. He's a leather jacket N' jeans guy in RL too. That's the type I'm attracted to, I've never cared for the metrosexual/hipster look. I like men who look more masculine.

I don't know, it is some good clothing out there. It's a bit of the same arguments I've heard before, and I could always suggest some shops. Guys don't have as many shops as girls, but enough for them to find what they want. If they are interested in it. Sometimes I think it's the male alts who have female typists that do 50% of the shopping.

Sam skin from Filthy Skins

Hair with beanie from Dura Boys

Eyes LeLutka slate

Aviator jacket Lapointe & Bastchild

Shirt part of set from MrPoet

Jeans Aoharu 

wlnew_001.jpg 

Please, please for the love of all things decent enough with the wannabe gangsta rappers, shirtless tattooed up muscleheads, metal toed boot wearing bikers. Most SL males are walking cliches.

More Redgrave, Hoorenbeck, L&B, SF Design, Blaze and Artilleri please. (Although, I've been going with more of a retro punk rock look myself, courtesy of Emery or Artilleri's rockabilly style)

What I'd like to see is a lot more varied color in SL for both men AND women.  There are exceptions but most all clothes come in the basic colors black, red,  pink, for the ladies, navy for the guys.  If your lucky it may be offered in a few secondary basics green, purple,  turquoise.  Its like the fashion designers only have the cheap box of 8 crayons instead of the big 101 color box!

I am going to chip in my 2 cents based on just personal experience. Do NOT kill me for this. Simple statistics will tell you that most males do not buy or purchase anywhere near as much clothing as females do. Additionally many seem to gravitate to the Tattoos on top Jeans on bottom (or leather pants) and some ugly looking shoes. For some reason they think that in SL all males spend the time taking steroids. 

In short unless you are designing specifically male clothing, as a designer, I have discovered, it simply is not worth the time or effort to create any type of male clothing, because males simply do not shop or buy. 

I know I am going to be pounced on for this but IMO from my own stats and experience. Just does not pay to create male clothing and invest all the time and money.

Maybe this is true in your experience, but I have a store that caters mostly to men and it does pretty well.  I also don't sell the typical jeans/leather/muscle man type clothing.  It would appear that a lot of guys like vintage, classical goth, and steampunk clothing, since that is what I sell the most of in my store.

The "normal" clothes I have don't sell nearly as well.

I have also noticed more men asking for stuff that isn't black/red.  It's nice to see guys wearing more color these days.

My biggest peeve with menswear is the prevalence of teeshirts, jeans, and tattoos.  But to each their own.  It's not my style, and I generally don't create that stuff, but whatever makes your kilt fly up :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i am always amazed at the men who wear the same one outfit all the time. and i'm not talking about noobs either. change it up, make it new, give it your own flair.

i really enjoy steampunk and victorian clothes on men (no surprise there, if you've ever seen my designs, lol.) there's nothing better than a man in a well-crafted suit. :)

=^.^= 

Suits and hair, we need more of.

If I want a suit, I'm pretty much stuck choosing between everything slapped on one texture layer and it looks terrible, or some giant victorian looking getup, which is way too overdone and overpriced.

We need more middle ground. As is, when I want "formal", I still wind up with jeans and a collared shirt from Hoorenbeek.

The other thing we need more options for is hair. Everybody makes the same boy band looking crap, mops, or spikes.

I look at someone dressed gansta in RL or SL and just laugh.  Is no way I can take them serious, especially if I see their pants are falling off their butts. Makes me think they can't afford clothes that fit. 

And, typically women spend way more than men on clothes..and we change them more often.  I don't think men even think about what they are wearing, of  course, the same thing seems to happen in RL as well.  Plus, I think in RL most just wear jeans and T-shirts. 

Why spend time on creating men's clothing when there is so little market for them? Honestly, if men spent more money buying clothes, I think you would see a larger variety of them and they would be less expensive.  Is not a good answer.  You could spend time designing for men, but be sure you also design women's clothing and keep designing if you want to make enough to cover your costs.

Idk, my friend asks me to go shopping with him for a woman's opinion ^^ I ask for his to on things I buy because I think he has great taste. If I could get inworld I could see the LMs for some of the places he shops. There are some great male clothes out there. There are probably alot more women's shops, but you still have to filter through the mediocre to find the great designs.

PET PEEVE ALERT - Men must be confined to the inside of a hollow 10m cube until they learn to wear BOTH shoes and pant cuffs AT THE SAME TIME. :)

Also baldies, gotta go. Only 2 men look good bald, 1 is Yul Brenner the other is Mr Clean. And him not so much.

Bad jewelry has to go. For anyone, but guys wear some really clunky stuff.

More coordinated outfits. Some men are clueless. Perhaps SL attracts them. :)

Female designers who design for men that make them look feminine.  There is a niche for that I know. Hwever, lots a guys aren't inot Euro styles.  They like down home clothes. Sad but true, old t-shirts and jeans is the most comfy and what they seek.

Point blank, for the most part, they need a girl guide to truck them through the shops.

I am your nightmare ladies! I bought 5 pair of jeans some years ago and they will last for ever. I have my t-shirts custom made (used to create my own but not my thing) and I wear the same old boots until I die! No socks, no undies (there is nothing to put in). It is such a comfort to not have to think about what to wear. Clothing for men, unfortunately, seem to be made by girls who want guys to look like trained monkeys!

Nice ensemble Emil, but showed this to Sutra and he said loose the girly low scoop neck and the long graduated string of beads. He liked the jeans though wasn't sure about the length shown, if the pants weren't mod he would pass, he doesn't like to look like he is wearing waders. Also the coat is not his style either make it trenchcoat length or mid-hip.

I somewhat agree, the scoop neck is feminine.  And the jacket I agree on the length.  I do like the fact it has an overall look thoughtfully put together, something many men don't do and unfortunately some women don't do either.

AND I will also jump in here and say... nice shape! Realistic! I am always making Sutra tweak DOWN his biceps and shoulders. LOL.  They seem to magically puff up if he 1) is left on his own  or 2) goes out to ride his motorcycle. LOL.  Guys in SL have this mistaken (to me anyways) idea that layering on the testerone &  with mishappen he-man hulk builds is the way to look.  

This "warped" idea is what gives female designers pause.  Women's curve are bad eough to tweak around but men's.. it's a bigger nightmare all it's own. Having 1200 inch chests and 50 inch biceps really wreaks havoc on a design texture, as do CC+ boobage & ba donk a donk rear real estate.

At least guys won't be infected with the current shape du jour of wide crotches. :::shivers in disgust::: when I see the plethora of PUG shapes hitting the grid. Big eyes, big frowning nbig lipped, wide hipped big vrotched shapes OMG.  What is that? We have humans, furries, tinies, critters, dolls, robots... anyone officially name this new breed of character yet?

yeah its true i use sometimes accesories and clothes from women stores but thats because they look cool and i can edit them to look ok for me also, for example the jacket is not from male store, its hard to find things i like with good textures and good prims in men stores, they are almost all only layers and crappy ones also. The shape i made it after my Rl shape.

But look something more masculine with stylestation_003.jpg

bar_003.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.