Gap between map layers?

TransPleasure

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Also make sure that when you actually create the dress that the settings for underpants waist is 100 and undershirt length is 100. Use the template to control lengths of sleeves ect and not the serrings in appearance. Also, dosent apply in the case of plain material, remember that the lower templates are approx 80% narrower than the top templates.

And is your background layer, clear at the bottom of the stack, the same color as the fabric layer too?  If you are cutting out the fabric with the alpha channel but don't have anything behind it, you'll always get a light halo.  To quote Leonard Cohen: "There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. " There are many solutions to the old "white halo" problem, but that's one of the simplest.

If the Robin Wood template layer has been your background up to now, and the red/maroon is now the background, that should do the trick.  (You didn't actually have to destroy the template, of course.  You could have just converted it to a regular layer, turned it off, and created the new red layer underneath it.  Still ..... same result in the end.)

The white halo problem arises as an edge effect whenever you cut with an alpha channel and have empty pixels beyond whatever you saved.  Your graphics card tries to interpret the "nothing" that's immediately next to the stuff you saved and ends up displaying it as white.  Putting a colored layer behind it relieves the confusion.  There are other solutions as well:

1. Duplicate the cut-out fabric layer, move it under the original, and stretch it very slightly in both directions. That's actually a better solution than a monochrome background if your fabric happens to be multicolored.

2. After you have cut out the fabric layer, go around all of the cut edges very carefully with the smear tool, set as a small brush. Gently smear the edge of the fabric into the open space beyond.  I don't like that method because (a) it's irreversible, (b) it's easy to mess up and smear things that shouldn't be smeared, and © it's maddeningly impossible with lacy fabrics or other designs with lots of holes.

3. Use the Flaming Pear filter, or one like it, that does the smearing trick automatically.

4. Don't cut out the fabric layer at all.  This is my favorite method -- one that Chosen and Robin have called the "subtraction" method.  Think about it.  You have already created an alpha channel that will trim the image properly.  Why do you need to trim the fabric layer too?  That's redundant, and it creates a white halo unnecessarily. Instead, I fill an entire layer with my fabric, or use several stacked layers if I have a complicated design.  If I have made my alpha channel correctly, the final image is trimmed as clean as can be.

The other approach, of course, is to dispense with creating a discrete alpha channel by using PNG.  Many people do that and are quite happy.  I find it easier to work with complex designs if I can put the work into an alpha channel -- very much like making a paper dress pattern in RL -- but we each choose what works best for us.

TransPleasure wrote:

Thank you for your detailed answer.

Unfortunatelly nothing worked except number 4 which I cant understand it.

Could you please explain it further?

That's perhaps the easiest one.  It just sounds odd because most SL clothing designers are taught a different way.  To make a typical shirt, for example, people usually create a Photoshop layer in which they draw a pattern, like the paper pattern that a RL dressmaker might use.  It shows all those areas on the avatar upper body that will eventually be covered by fabric.  Then, they use that pattern as an alpha mask to create an alpha channel that will separate the transparent areas of the final texture from the opaque ones.  Then they fill a fabric layer with their selected shirt texture and use the same mask to cut out the shape of the shirt. 

What I'm suggesting is that the very last step in that process is unnecessary.  You don't need to cut out the shape of the shirt on the fabric layer for two reasons: (1) You have already created an alpha channel that will cut out the final shape of your shirt anyway and (2) Cutting out the shape on the fabric layer generates the "white halo" effect, which you then have to go to a lot of trouble to get rid of.  You can save yourself a lot of work by just leaving the fabric layer uncut.

I don't know if this helps, but imagine a similar sort of situation in a RL kitchen.  You want to make cookies, so you roll out a sheet of dough on the counter and grab a cookie cutter.  You wouldn't think of putting the cookie cutter on the dough first, trimming around it with a knife to make cookies one at a time, and THEN chopping the same cookies all over again with the cookie cutter. You'd just let the cookie cutter do the work.  The alpha channel is your cookie cutter.  It's going to chop up your final stack of Photoshop layers and make a texture you can wear.  You don't have to also cut out the fabric shapes beforehand.

• 2 weeks later...

As was already said there is no solution. This is an error by the lindens in the creation of the layers and is unable to be rectified by you. It is an issue with has bugged those of us making clothing for years. The work around is to use the jacket layer as opposed to the pants and top layer

The gap is there, you're just not seeing it. There is no way to fix it other than LL fixing it. It's a well-known problem going back for years (I remember noticing it for the first time in early 2007and I did what you are doing, tried to fix it...) but if you insist on banging your head against a wall, then carry on trying to fix it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.