Do you prefer to wear mesh or system layers?

TotesBitchin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been off SL for about a year now and starting from fresh :) Just wondering if the hype about mesh has eased off a bit? What does the general public enjoy wearing when it comes to mesh vs system layers?

I'm starting a lingerie biz and doing some research before I start designing..!

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

• Like 1

Ok I am going to answer this not as a creator but as a consumer.  Personally I wear ONLY what looks good.  If it happens to be clothing layers then that's what it is..  i.e pants definitely look way better than mesh pants if the mesh fits poorly.. and you can use an alpha so you can wear boots with syslem layer pants, you can't with mesh..  On the other hand, mesh skirts sometimes look way better for some types of skirts i.e. mini skirts when you have to use an awkward insert for a system layer skirt.. (that is using the pants layer)  skirt layers in system layers suck always have and always will.  I often mix a mesh mini skirt with a non mesh system layer top.  For a formal nothing beats system layer pants and top with a beautiful flexi skirt,  mesh can't hold a a candle to that. Mesh long dresses and skirts are impossible as there is always a foot sticking out attached to nothing which to me looks absurd..  unless you use a full alpha and hide the feet which to me also looks dumb.   As for lingere..  system layers for sure,  with a touch of flexi is so sexy..  if I wear lingere I want to be natural and sexy I don't wanna mess with alpha layers..  So there you have my opinion lol...  for what it's worth.

• Like 1

I prefer mesh clothing, when I can make it fit. Which is rarely with the standard SL avatar. I always try the demo, and see how it looks dancing before I buy.  I do not buy very much. Most of my stuff comes from two designers who actually seem to get it.

Fitted mesh clothing helps a little, at least for jeans and sweatshirts, but not for lingere, or anything showing decent decolletage. Unless you turn off your physics, at where is the fun in that?

I am currently absorbed with fitted mesh clothing for fitted mesh avatars. They fit great, follow physics, not much need for alpha masking. But there are like 20 fitted mesh bodies out there, and the fitted mesh clothing can only be used with the avatar for which it was weight painted. Its the tower of Babel out there!

Hope the perspective is helpful, making clothing of any sort in SL is a challenge. Best of luck.

• Like 1

It depends on what look I'm wanting. A system cami or top on the jacket layerunder a mesh jacket with system pants and mesh boots, for instance, can give a polished look you can't get with the multiple mesh since they tend to clash and cut each other. If you want a tucked in top, you almost have to use system layers unless the outfit is made together. Even then, you'll still have problems System clothes don't at bulk to the avi so you don't have cutting the way you do with mesh. But, I like a mesh straight mini or knee length pencil skirt with a system top and a cropped sculpted or mesh jacket. If you're weilling to be adventurous, you can mix and match a lot of stuff. With the mesh bodies, the sculped and flexi prim skirts that you can adjust the size on are great.

As for the original question, if I'm going to be wearing the lingerie on it's own, like for a bathing suit look, I like mesh. If it's to go under other clothing, I prefer system so it doesn't add bulk to the avi and have to worry about cutting in the other layers.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.