Alpha under skirts.

MIstahMoose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On a scale of 1-10, how important is it for you that the creator makes sure the skirt is not transparent when camming up the skirt? Recently occured to me that this is a big deal with women?

I see it being really noticeable if the top was transparent when you looked down it, or the sleeves when your avi raises their arms. Though the underside of the skirt? 

Opinions? Comments? 1-10, go!

I find it more disconcerting that my legs are transparent when you look up my skirt. Whether the inside of a skirt is transparent too is a minor annoyance compared to having no thighs. An alpha layer that makes legs vanish 0.1 cm above the hemline is ridiculous.  It makes sitting almost impossible.  Every time I buy a new mesh outfit, I have to remake the alpha layer so that I at least have some thigh showing when I sit.  

MIstahMoose wrote:

On a scale of 1-10, how important is it for you that the creator makes sure the skirt is not transparent when camming up the skirt? Recently occured to me that this is a big deal with women?

I see it being really noticeable if the top was transparent when you looked down it, or the sleeves when your avi raises their arms. Though the underside of the skirt? 

Opinions? Comments? 1-10, go!

I'm not sure exactly what you are refering to here and whether you are referring to Mesh or Prim based clothes.  A picture may be worth a thousand words.

"Accidental Nudity" has always been a problem in SL.  At one time there was a major glitch that you could show up somewhere and no one else would see the system clothes (Shirt, Pants, etc layers) you were wearing.  You'd look clothed on your own screen but everyone else saw you naked.

When Mesh was first introduced and especially during that transition time for people to switch to Mesh capable viewers a lot of people who were wearing Mesh didn't realise they appeared naked to others.  So I would encourage women who were concerned to wear some underwear.  Unlike RL, when people get dressed in SL, we tend to not think about underwear.

Once Mesh Enabled Viewers became the norm the problem of Accidental Nudity pretty much went away.

But now, since the advent of Server Side Appearance it has returned.  The Avatar is loading before worn/attached objects are.  Usually it's very brief (no pun intended), but because most people never mess with underwear we are again seeing a lot of naked Ava's.

If someone is concerned about being upskirted or down shirted or what have you, they should add underwear to their outfits.  Really, my feeling is that any one supplying mesh clothes, as a service to their customers, that they should be including underwear to match with the outfits.

On the other side of this, while I am not an "upskirter," I enjoy nudity in SL, and actually I can think of some girls I wouldn't mind at all seeing naked.  ;)

Rolig Loon wrote:

I find it more disconcerting that my
legs
are transparent when you look up my skirt. Whether the inside of a skirt is transparent too is a minor annoyance compared to having no thighs. An alpha layer that makes legs vanish 0.1 cm above the hemline is ridiculous.  It makes sitting almost impossible.  Every time I buy a new mesh outfit, I have to remake the alpha layer so that I at least have
some
thigh showing when I sit.  

^^^^  THIS  ^^^^

I hate when I can see through an Ava all the way to the next SIM!

Bugs me to no end.

And add to this is when a creator fails to texture the inside of worn clothes.

no texture.JPG

There is no excuse for this.

Well mesh is one sided so failing to texture the inside of worn clothes.. well you're supposed to be in the clothes!

But looking under or over you shouldnt be ale to see through.. Just seeing how far I need to take this :P

MIstahMoose wrote:

Well mesh is one sided so failing to texture the inside of worn clothes.. well you're supposed to be in the clothes!

But looking under or over you shouldnt be ale to see through.. Just seeing how far I need to take this
:P

I'm confused here.  Are you saying the inside of that boot can't be textured?

I don't own a lot of mesh and just grabbed that to do a quick snapshot to illustrate what I was referring to.

If I had a mesh jacket I might have used that.  Seeing through collars is annoying too.  I don't think I've noticed it on every mesh collar I've seen.

ETA, this Martian is NOT a Fashionista, so if it bugs me can you imagine how much it must bug them?

Yeah. The insides that have been textured are actual geometry added in. So theres no point in making geometry for a boot that will be worn when no one can see the insides.. Mesh is all made up of one sided planes. One side visible, the other see through. So it increases impact when you have doublesided. So most just extrude something really basic and collapse it on the edge of the geometry or dip it in a bit so that you don't see through it.

But I get what you mean it being seethrough, Definitly will try to avoid this. though some clothes it will be almost inevitable (Because making certain things non-see through is too tedious to be worth it -also almost impossible to rig with some things, can bork the rig pretty bad and cause geometry to constantly go through each other etc... just not worth it in some cases-)

ETA: I really like your idea for the underwear and stuff :) Helpful thoughts! I am heading the right way in knowing what I want to provide for my customers :)

MIstahMoose wrote:

Yeah. The insides that have been textured are actual geometry added in. So theres no point in making geometry for a boot that will be worn when no one can see the insides.. Mesh is all made up of one sided planes. One side visible, the other see through. So it increases impact when you have doublesided. So most just extrude something really basic and collapse it on the edge of the geometry or dip it in a bit so that you don't see through it.

But I get what you mean it being seethrough, Definitly will try to avoid this. though some clothes it will be almost inevitable (Because making certain things non-see through is too tedious to be worth it -also almost impossible to rig with some things, can bork the rig pretty bad and cause geometry to constantly go through each other etc... just not worth it in some cases-)

ETA: I really like your idea for the underwear and stuff
:)
Helpful thoughts! I am heading the right way in knowing what I want to provide for my customers

I dont know what is involved in making mesh.  The problem with that boot is that it is not designed to be skin tight where it attaches to the leg.  So it is really only at the top edge of the boot when worn that you 'see through.'  So if that kind of problem can be ammeliorated with minimal impact that would be a great boon.

MIstahMoose wrote:

ETA: I really like your idea for the underwear and stuff
Helpful thoughts! I am heading the right way in knowing what I want to provide for my customers

Any time you can give customers flexibilty it is a boon.  Some women in SL like being upskirted.  It is not an uncommon thing in some roleplay scenarios for a girl to say, "I'm not wearing any panties."

One girl I know never wears alpha layers under her mesh jackets because she really does enjoy enticing the guys to get a peek.

MIstahMoose wrote:

I'll keep it all in mind and try to give the customer as much as I can
thanks for your helpful replies.. I am still trying to figure out the clothing world of Sl

My reply to this is probably going to drive you nuts, but in Second Life, "One SIze DOES NOT Fit All."  ;)

P.s., up in the General Discussion section of the Forum is "The Vanity Thread."  Browsing through it might help give you a feel for how quite a few people feel about fashion in SL, especially if you are going to make clothes that sell for a premium price."

Perrie Juran wrote:

"Any time you can give customers flexibilty it is a boon.  Some women in SL like being upskirted.  It is not an uncommon thing in some roleplay scenarios for a girl to say, "I'm not wearing any panties."

One girl I know never wears alpha layers under her mesh jackets because she really does enjoy enticing the guys to get a peek."

There are some women in RL that seem to be like that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.