With regards to the new Gaming Policies, are contest board affected where residents do not pay in?

Bronwen Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

This part looks pretty unambiguous to me, but like you, I am only another resident:

Skill games that offer Linden Dollar payouts will be allowed in Skill Gaming Regions only. This is a new region designation that will apply beginning August 1, 2014. Those Second Life residents who wish to convert their regions to Skill Gaming Regions can do so by contacting Linden Lab in accordance with Linden Lab’s Land Policy. Due to the additional administrative and compliance-related costs associated with these regions, the monthly maintenance fees will be greater than those for regular regions in Second Life.[ .... ] In summary, skill games that offer Linden Dollar payouts will be allowed in Second Life, but each game, its creator, its operator, and the region on which it is operated must be approved by Linden Lab.

The question, perhaps, is whether your venue is a "contest" or a "skill game".  Consult the current gaming policy for advice

LL's policies are ALWAYS ambiguous.  This is partly their fault, and partly it's because there are so many clever creators in SL that there are almost always gray areas in ANY policy.

However, the Skill Gaming policy seems to me to be clearer than most.  If the game a) requires skill to win, and b) does not contain a major element of chance, and c) requires a payment and d) provides cash prizes, then it's a skill game.

The skill element in contest boards is arguable.  What skill is required to win?  Skill in meeting the contest requirements (Best Werewolf, Best Plywood Cube, Biggest Boobs, etc.?)  Skill in inviting your friends to stack the voting?  Hard to say.  But, unless the contest charges an entrance fee, IMO the board is not a "skill game" under the new policy. 

NOTE:  If the board has the OPTION to charge an entrance fee, then it DOES fall under the policy, whether the club owner activates this option or not.  For example, KR Engineering, the makers of the popular Greedy Greedy and other table games, included this option in their games, and they are having to revise them to free play only.

Of course, I'm not a Linden, so my opinion is only my opinion.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.