How much feed do horses eat a day or week?

xnikolex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am new to keeping horses so just really trying to figure out the cost of keeping these. How much breedable pet food would a horse eat in a day? 1 bundle at 130$? Or does this last days? Or weeks?

Thanks.

*Yes as it is an SL forum I am speaking about SL horses lol. Most horses in SL eat the same amount i guess but I will ask a knowlegable group in SL. Thanks anyways guys.

3 answers to this question

Feed for horses can be divided into three categories: pasture, hay and concentrates:

The most natural food for horses is good quality pasture. Most mature pleasure horses doing light work will do well on pasture alone if they have sufficient grazing. However, horses are selective grazers and need a large area to meet their nutritional needs.

Hay is the basic food of domestic horses. Only feed good quality hay to horses. Make sure the bales are green and dust and mold free.

Hay alone cannot provide enough nutrition for hard-working horses, pregnant and nursing mares, or growing youngsters. They need concentrates to supplement the hay. However, hay should still provide the bulk of the diet. Feeding too much grain can cause problems.

Horses also need lots of drinking water and an adequate amount of salt and minerals

The amount of food a horse needs will depend on such things as size, breed, age, and activity. In cold weather, a horse living outside needs more food just to keep warm.

As a general rule, a horse needs 2 to 2.2 pounds of feed for every 100 pounds of body weight. (You can buy a weight tape to measure how much your horse weighs.) For example, an average 1000 lb horse would need 20 to 25 pounds of feed a day. Most of that should be hay. A typical diet for a horse being ridden for one hour five days a week would be 2 to 5 pounds of grain and 15 to 20 pounds of hay a day, split into at least two separate meals.

http://www.acreageequines.com/horsecare/horsecare1.htm

Now, why the (*^() are you asking us instead of some horse/animal/vet site?

On the off-chance that you're talking about some type of SL 'horse' object it would be nice if you'd a) said so, b) told us which type/creation/system it's programmed for, c) remembered that everything in SL is resident-created so there is no standard "horse" we'd all know about

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.