Intel® HD Graphics can this be good for SL?

Alsya Destiny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Don't do it.  SL does not work well on notebooks anyway, and SL residents have had particular problems with Intel HD graphics chips.  Please do a search in these forums, using the keywords Intel HD to see the kinds of serious complaints people have had.  In order to get acceptable performance in SL, you should at least get a laptop computer, avoiding anything that has a switchable graphics chip on the motherboard.  Look for a machine that has a replaceable graphics card, preferably an NVidia card.  You will discover that you can buy a desktop computer with good to excellent graphics quality for Second Life for less money than an equivalent laptop, BTW.

One final thought ...... Second Life, like all other programs, keeps upgrading all the time.  Every time they add more features, the software requires slightly better hardware than it used to.  Over time -- a year or two -- a computer that was once perfectly good for SL becomes obsolete, unable to run the current versions of SL viewers.  As a result, if you are buying a new computer, the best advice is to buy a machine that does much more than meet SL's minimum standards.  "Acceptable" is not good enough.

Dont do it i just recently brought a laptop with intel hd graphics could only run sl graphics on low everytime i tried to move it up would crash me so returned the laptop it was an asus with an i5 4gb 500gb now looking to find another one but waiting for an answer on amd processors with amd graphics how well it would run in sl

It's hard to find a "perfect" graphics card, although in general the more you pay, the higher the quality you can expect. If you searh these forums and the JIRA, you will find people who have had trouble with almost any card. There are two trends to watch, though. One is the trend I mentioned in my reply above. Integrated graphics chips like the Intel HD are very problematic -- low graphics quality an a high crash rate. The other is that there has been a long history of SL resident problems with AMD/ATI graphics cards. They are very good cards, but ATI optimizes performance for DirectX environments, and SL is an OpenGL environment. Unless you find the right drivers for your machine and keep them current, you may have trouble with color balance and overall image quality.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.