How do I find the texture UUID of an object?

Huntr Gustafson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

Hello Huntr,

If you need the UUID of a texture right click the texture in your inventory and from the popup menu select "Copy assert UUID". You can paste it then (Ctrl-V) to the notecard as required.

If you need the UUID of an object the object has to post it to the chat window via a script. If it's required by your system, it should have a documented way to do that by itself or you need to add a small script to retrieve the UUID/key of the object.

Go to the object's contents and click "New Script" ... edit the default script by replacing the code in state_entry() by

state_entry() {
    llSay(0,"My UUID/key is " + (string)llGetKey());
}

Save the script and it will tell you the object's unique key (UUID)

Hope this helps, Cobra

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Each rezzed object has its own UUID and it is generated anew each time the object is rezzed.  Because of that, if you take or delete the object and later rezz it again it will have a different UUID.  For textures and other things that are not rezzed directly you will usually only be able to get the UUID from your inventory (as BlackCobra has explained) if you have the proper permissions.  If you aren't allowed to use the texture in this way the 'Copy UUID' option will be greyed-out in the menu.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  I need the Texture UUID and the object is no-modify in my inventory because of some of the scripts I am using.  Therefore the resolution you refer to is greyed out.  Any other ideas?  Does the Texture UUID change as well each time it is rezzed and taken back to inventory?  Thanks for your help.

It sounds like the simplest way to do this would be to contact the original creator of the object to assist you. That person will have the UUID of the texture you're looking for, which you can then use in your project.

On the other hand, if you created this piece, you will also own the textures in your inventory. I've made things too and can't remember which textures I used, so here's what I do (minus the UUID parts...) Just rez the object, right-click to edit it, click the Texture tab in the Edit window, choose the select texture option and then click on the object, in the individual area which has the texture you're looking for.  Then, click the texture box (the left one) in the edit window. A second window will open up, where you will be able to see the name of the texture used. You MAY be able to right-click the name of the texture file and copy the UUID but if not, simply close all the open windows, and then go to your inventory to search for the name of the texture file used. You can easily right-click its name and copy the UUID.

Good luck with this!!

• Like 1

Huntr.Gustafson wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I need the Texture UUID and the object is no-modify in my inventory because of some of the scripts I am using.  Therefore the resolution you refer to is greyed out.  Any other ideas?  Does the Texture UUID change as well each time it is rezzed and taken back to inventory?  Thanks for your help.

So lemegetthis. You want a texture uuid you don't have in your inv...

Do you have any perms on that texture or are you *just* interested in the texture uuid someone else made?

Actually You can Still mod it Because of the scripts Ive done this in One of my Neko Tails it says no mod but i removed the scripts temporarily Added my  own scripts and retextured it and Placed the scripts back in (note For no Mod Things that your trying to put in an object Res the object on the ground Then Drag the Scripts/texture/notecard or whatever into the contents page then pick it up)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.