Camera controls messed up after changing keyboard layout!

Haruki Fride

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey guys after i changed my keyboard layout from german to US english, the camera controls messed up. If i trying to zoom around in the usual way by pressing 'alt and left mouse' i get into object view and if i want to get in zoom option i've to press 'control alt and left mouse button'. I wonder why because there is no different how to zoom in both languages. So if i switch back to german keyboard layout in windows, i get the usual zoom back. Would be nice if someone can help me with my issue... Thanks!!!

Windows language - US english
Windows keyboard - US layout
Viewer language - english

1 answer to this question

Your PC may have it's OS installed in Native German. The scan codes on the keyboard are just enough different to make this kind of thing happen.

Check to make sure that any keyboard driver that came with the previously installed keyboard has been removed fully. Also make sure that the OS default language locale is now US English.

Also if SL was installed with the OS in it's native language format then it obtained keyboard mapping information from the OS by default. A clean reinstall may be needed as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Change the system locale [ Windows 7 ]

The system locale determines the default character set (letters, symbols, and numbers) and font used to enter and display information in programs that don't use Unicode. This allows non-Unicode programs to run on your computer using the specified language. You might need to change the default system locale when you install additional display languages on your computer. Selecting a different language for the system locale doesn't affect the language in menus and dialog boxes for Windows or other programs that do use Unicode.

1. Open Region and Language by clicking the Start button **Only uploaded images may be used in postings,clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Region and Language.

2. Click the Administrative tab, and then, under Language for non-Unicode programs, click Change system locale. **Only uploaded images may be used in postings If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Select the language, and then click OK.

To restart your computer, click Restart now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What can I do with regional formats and languages?

You can change the format Windows uses to display information (such as dates, times, currency, and measurements) so that it matches the standards or language used in the country or region where you're located. For example, if you work on documents in both French and English, you can change the format to French so that you can display currency in euros or display dates in the day/month/year format. For more information, see Change the display of dates, times, currency, and measurements.

If you need to type and edit documents in more than one language, you can add input languages. Many input languages support a variety of keyboard layouts, input method editors (IMEs), and speech and handwriting recognition programs. Deciding which of these options to use is usually a matter of personal preference. Experiment with the options to discover which work best for you. Even if you do most of your work in one language, you might want to try other keyboard layouts. For example, if you need to type accented letters in English, it might be easier to use the United States-International keyboard layout instead of the standard U.S. keyboard layout.

When you add input languages, keyboard layouts, input method editors, or speech or handwriting recognition programs, Windows displays the Language bar on your desktop. The Language bar provides a quick way to change the input language or keyboard layout from your desktop. For more information, see The Language bar (overview).

You can also change the display language—the language that the user interface text is displayed in—so that you can view wizards, dialog boxes, menus, and other items in a different language. Some display languages are installed by default and others require you to install language files. For more information, see Install or change a display language.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.