Commerce

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Contributors to this blog

Spring Break Promotion Opportunity on Marketplace

Brooke Linden

“Spring  Break” is the theme for our Marketplace promotions in March. If you  would like to boost traffic to your Spring Break-related items for sale  on the Marketplace, please add the keyword “beachbonanza” to your  relevant listings. We will be using embedded search on that keyword in  links in our outbound promotional channels—starting in the first week of  March. Please be sure to use the keyword with your relevant wares.

19 Comments

Recommended Comments

Not being American, I am not fully versed on what spring break entails. I have obviously seen spring breaks referenced in movies but that generally just involves teenagers getting inebriated and exposing themselves.

Exactly what sort of "spring break" products can we sell to make the most of this promotional opportunity?

Is it just beach and party stuff and whot-not?

Porky Gorky wrote:

Not being American, I am not fully versed on what spring break entails...

I'm so glad you said that first.  I looked in here to see if it said what it was about, then I was thinking "beachbonanza", what's that about?  In Spring!  Are they mad?

Right, so it's some strange US teenage thing then.  Wonder it LL will ever consider their international residents and celebrate/promote/mention/notice a non-US event.

Beachbonanza was the same keyword used last year. It was not Spring Break related, tho -- I think it was just beach or summer or something.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Right, so it's some strange US teenage thing then.  Wonder it LL will ever consider their international residents and celebrate/promote/mention/notice a non-US event.

It's Shrove Tuesday in the UK on 8th March, better known as Pancake Day! Maybe we could have a special promotion for that? Although I'm not sure LL will go for that idea as it seems that everyday is pancake day in the states.

Last time we did Beachbonanza it was summer in America, and it seemed appropriate at the time. I'm in Australia and I remember it was cold when setting up summer/beach themes in some of my listings, but now I'm sweating through a very hot summer.

Was it last year? It seems like such a long time ago. I'm thinking it might have been the year before because last summer the new market opened.

I have obviously seen spring breaks referenced in movies but that generally just involves teenagers getting inebriated and exposing themselves.

That about sums it up, yep.

DId you think you would get away with no wikipedia definition? Here it is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_break

Seems to be a holiday just for those still in education. How about a promotion based around a work holiday too, like International Worker's Day?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Workers%27_Day

Seems to cover more countries too, and includes those residents who actually earn money so they can spend it in SL ... as in, the paying customers! (lol)

Magnet Homewood wrote:

Seems to be a holiday just for those still in education. How about a promotion based around a work holiday too, like International Worker's Day?

Oh I see so now everyone has lost sales to the 'adul't majority we are being invited to chase the few kids with money and ....NOT on the beach.

woot.....

and I was starting to feel out of touch,.. I really think the lindens need at least one person who understands retail or at least sells on the marketplace advising them.. This game of guessing what people need isn't working is it ..

I've always thought it would be nice if LL did a bit more (anything!) with an international flavour, even if it's very localised.

Bastille day, for instance, would give us all a chance to do French themes all over the place, just as an excuse for a makeover.

Hmmm, I can think of someone who would be interested in 300 different types of cheese :-)

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

I've always thought it would be nice if LL did a bit more (anything!) with an international flavour, even if it's very localised.

Actually I would be happy if a some LL staff members would realise that only the US uses the completely illogical mmddyyyy date format. The rest of the world uses either ddmmyyyy or yyyymmdd.

So when Brooke posts that she will hold office hours on 11/12/2010 many of us are scratching our heads wondering if that is in November or December. So if LL is serious about being international then they should standardise on the unambiguous yyyymmdd

What I wonder is how you guys say dates. Do you say 7th June 1944? We say June 7th, 1944. (And it confuses us when it is written different from how we say it. And no we are not going to give up our inches, feet, yards, pounds, and ounces either.)

Well I guess in the US, college and highschool students going on "Spring Break" used to flock to Mexican beach resorts, though with the spate of anti-US drug abductions and killings going on down there this may be less of a trend now. So perhaps spring breakers are flocking to the Bahamas . . . oh yeah didn't an American get killed there too? So relevant spring break items could be:  guns, alcohol, bondage toys, beach cabanas, or even just plain old hog tied corpses.

I guess I should market my prefab beach as the "perfect spot for a kegger and or drug cartel slayings!"

As has been said here, as a non American I would very much like a list or at least some guidance as to the type of suitable products for this keyword to prevent problems.

Many thanks

PS - Pamela yes that is exactly how we would say the date :o)

It has already been said, that LL might consider providing some information about such things to residents form outside the US .. actually the majority of residents as far as I know is outside the US and therefore might not know about what is exactly considered to be a 'spring break'.

On the other hand there are so many different events and celebrations held every day all over the world, that LL has a rich selection of those to choose from. There can be soemthign else each week and it would not only challenge creators to make new items, it would also allow us all a little glimpse into cultures we have not known about yet. But for that it is needed to look what is going on outside the borders.

Spring reminds me of gardens, flowers, birds, even Easter, but not beach... and what about skins? Well, we do wear a skin during spring break, whatever that means. :-P

Oh I really hope they don't go around changing the way the date is done. When I go on websites that is ran by Europeans or Australians, and the game/website  is set to their time zone, I don't go around asking them to change their format. I believe it's their right as webmasters to format their application as they see fit.

LL should do a blurb on what the occasion is, though.

Spring break--also known as March break, Study Week or Reading Week in the United Kingdom and some parts of Canada--is a recess in early spring at universities and schools in Canada, mainland China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Mexico, South Africa,Brazil,the United States, the United Kingdom, and other countries.

In the United States, spring break at the college and university level can occur from February to April, depending on term dates and certain holidays. Many K-12 institutions in the United States schedule their spring breaks around Easter  and Passover.

So based on that, why is everyone complaining that it's only an American holiday? Second, I would think it's a vacation (or holiday) where people like to go to warmer climates to hang out and have fun (hence the beach themes and the like).

Im glad to see one of the best Xstreet seller is one copybotter !

he copy and sell my avatar and avatar of my friends !

i really hope someone can stop this !

or many builder and me for sure no have reason to still to working !