You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Recognized Resident
Delura Ling

What is the best way to get a new club started?

Hi there!

I've just opened my first club in SL called "Out of Curiosity" and I wanted to know what everyone thought might be the best way to get people in the doors and generate some traffic?  I guess I hadn't put much thought into it, so it's time to poll the crowd!  lol

Thanks,

Delura Ling

oh!  and the club can be found HERE!

Honored Resident
MissyMidnight Skytower

Re: What is the best way to get a new club started?

Reply to Delura Ling - view message

People still go to clubs? O.o

Good luck though..

"How do you kill that which has no life..."
valerie Inshan

You may apply to get your club featured in the Destination Guide:

https://secondlife.com/my/forms/destinations.php

I did that when I opened my club and it did generate a lot of traffic (over 2000 in 3 weeks). Lots of visitors were noobs just visiting and never coming back, but some of them joined the group and brought friends...

Mouth to mouth is still the best way to promote your club, so work on your friends list and ask them to work on theirs!

Good luck !

"Everybody is right from their own point of view, but it is not impossible that everyone is wrong." Mahatma Gandhi
Honored Resident
Abby10 Lenroy

As I mentioned;

1. List your club in your picks, this is probably the best way to promote your club! And is free ;P

2. Put up vendors; either you make people rent and they place their stores in your club, or you buy the vendors that give you a percentage of sale and place them in the shopping space of your club.

3. Work on your friends list. Try to have as many people in your friends list as possible.

4. Host partys. The minimum you should be doing is probably around 3 a week, the more the better!

5. Get yourself a staff. i.e. Dj's & Dancer's.

6. Do competitions during the partys you host, best dressed in pink, best doctor costume, etc.(Also give out money prizes for the winners!)

7. Don't waste your time sitting around if you want traffic! Plan party's, get music playing atleast for 5 to 10 hours a day!

8. Get your own stream!

9. Do unique things in your club! Give people a reason to come back ;P

In overall, you must really be busy planing all of this stuff, traffic does NOT come easy, so find yourself a GOOD & SOLID traffic.

A tip: Once your club get's the traffic of 1000+, think of putting up an advertising system, and charge the ad's according to the amount of traffic you get!

For example;

less then 500, 10L$ per week

501 - 1000, 15L$ per week

1001 - 2000, 30L$ per week

2001 - 4999, 50L$ per week

5000 - 9999 - 80L$ per week

10000 and plus, you can charge up to 150L$ per week

When your club reachs 10000 traffic and over, then your looking at probably a party every day for 2 - 3 hours a day; where people are in the club, allot! ;=]

Hope this helps you out a bit!

And one more thing, remember never give up!

Honored Resident
Gary Halostar

Be prepared to throw away alot of money, they are a huge money pit, Sadly no one is just going to come to your club unless there is somthing for them,

very few clubs make any money, and some try too hard to make money via malls and vendors usually lagg like crazy or look messy, not to mention the usual problems with clubs, everyone begging for tips, constant gesture spam etc, people whining cause they have to wait too long till voting opens etc, ad thats before you have to deal with internal issues like staff unreliabilty, drama, cheating etc,

the people you know friends etc will come a few times when its new and fresh but they too will sick of the same old and stop coming after a while

look in events and see what you have to compete with at the same time, and look at the difference between how many people are at event which gives away 300L compared to 1000L and up,

So yeah u make a club in a day and get high traffic numbers if you want to give away 1000L and above each event, take into account tiers, staff payments, equipment, dances, Dj stream plus initual setup costs and the glamor of owning your own club looses it shine and burns a hole into your pocket,

Most SL clubs close within 3 months of opening, there are a few of course that can get a crowd and traffic without needing to have contests etc but they have usually been around a very long time and have a established client base

Even if your lucky enough to rent out 10 ad boards at 50L a week that might cover half the costs of a single event,

Not trying to put down your dream to own a club, i wish you luck just wanted to highlight its really not as much fun as you would think

Halo Designs/Club Karma, Xstreet & Inworld search
Honored Resident
Cage Yue

Pick it up... find a Noob, and hit them over the head with it!

Brynn Ametza

Hi Delura,

To agree with everyone so far, having a successful club id a lot of work and time. The ones I have seen and been a part of really started as a labor of love for the owner, rather than a way to make money. They require originality, commetment, a great staff (yes, you'll need one) and the willingness to not make anything for awhile. All of the suggestions above are valid and can help. However, there is no secret formula for success. The same is true in RL, most clubs fail, some sooner, some later. A very select few survive and become something special.

Btynn

Smile, it's easier
Honored Resident
Koko Carlucci

I've never owned a club, but I can say that clubbing is one of my favorite activities in SL. In time I've come to realise that I go to clubs where people are friendly and funny. Bottom line: the human factor, which you must not overlook while caring about the equipment and the stream, not to mention decorations and what not. A great staff makes all the difference between success and failure.

Navy1 Coba

You have to find a niche market to be successful I think. A nice club with good music is gonna fail unless you POUR money into it constantly. Nitche markets attact a certain sector of business and last longer. It has to be a labor of love cause sooner or later it not only becomes your Second Life, but your second JOB! 

My best advice is start a club group and wear the name tag WHERE EVER you go! such as "Out Of Curiosity" group. Go into the group and list yourself as OWNER then your tag will read "Out Of Curiosity Owner"

Good Luck

Navy1

owner of Stripper's
Recognized Resident
Delura Ling

Gary Halostar wrote:

Be prepared to throw away alot of money, they are a huge money pit, Sadly no one is just going to come to your club unless there is somthing for them,

Not trying to put down your dream to own a club, i wish you luck just wanted to highlight its really not as much fun as you would think

Well, honestly...  I used to work at a exotic club, but that was years ago...  I have a whole different RL now, but sometimes I miss that experience, sooo...  I wanted to I guess recapture some of that in SL?  soooo...  I'm going to take a whack at it.    maybe I'll get discouraged and close, but I'm still proud of the build itself either way.  lol

Still, this is all great advice (and warnings), guys!  Thanks!