You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Rachel Darling

Download codes for clothing psds?

I've noticed that some XStreet sellers of clothing templates are now providing download links with personalized access codes to get the psd files, and these download codes are delivered via the package you receive in-world. I'm wondering if anyone knows how this is done, and/or what online software or site is used to host/deliver content this way, securely? It's hard for me to imagine how the notecard that you get in-world can be customized on a sale-by-sale basis...but if it's not, how is this a secure way to sell psd downloads?

I'm also interested in the names of online services that handle downloadable content, if people have any tips or suggestions. I'm interested both in image files (psds) as well as pdf downloads.

Thanks!

----- See our products in the SL Marketplace -----
Body Heat: skins and makeup
Milady's Fancy: cocktail & club gowns, Formal and RP wear, Women's Business clothing
Honored Member
Shockwave Yareach

Re: Download codes for clothing psds?

Reply to Rachel Darling - view message

You simply create a website that expects X code from the user before allowing you to the Downloads page.  If you write a hash function that takes all the letters of the person's name and creates a numeric code from that, and you do the same thing on the webpage, you eliminate the problem of a single passcode that's easily shared around the internet.  Of course, nothing prevents someone from telling everyone their name and passcode, which does the same thing.  Perhaps making the website so that the person can only download the file 3 times and then it's removed from the Downloads page is the answer to that.

Home page entrance to enter your SL name.

Check if SL name has made a purchase.

Hash SL name and enter passcode page.

Check if passcode matches hash.

Generate a Downloads page with the files for that user.

Go to that users downloads page.

There is no Furry Cabal.
- signed, the Furry Cabal...
Candace Morgwain

Rachel, I would contact Niah Larsson and Unlikely Quintessa, the top sellers of clothing templates you're speaking of, and two sellers that worry very much about content theft. They're both very nice and helpful as well, so I think they could better answer your questions.

Honored Resident
BadWolf Bracken

Hi

Thats exactly how we do our downloads.

The buyer touches an inworld object, the are given a unique code in chat.

They then logon to a webpage, enter the AV name, the code and are then given access to the downloads.

We currently use if for music but are making a version for all types of files - PSD's - PDF's etc

http://snowcrashdigital.com/Hermes/Hermes1/

Rachel Darling

hmm...I probably should have phrased the question differently. I'm actually looking for a turn-key system that does it, rather than writing my own interface. I was presuming that others were using some particular 3rd-party digital download site, and had found an SL interface that was commercially available. Does anyone have specifics or know of one?

And thanks, Candace...I will speak to Niah. I wasn't sure if she'd want to give details as it's the basis for her business model, but if you think she wouldn't be adverse to talking about it I'll give it a try. :-)

----- See our products in the SL Marketplace -----
Body Heat: skins and makeup
Milady's Fancy: cocktail & club gowns, Formal and RP wear, Women's Business clothing
Honored Resident
BadWolf Bracken

ours is a turnkey but not yet ready for PSD's - but if your up for being a beta tester.......  

http://snowcrashdigital.com/Hermes/Hermes1/vendorguide/

Candace Morgwain

Unlikely Quintessa does it exactly this way. Niah uses a site, megaupload. A few others use that site too.

Rachel, I guess I can't speak for how Niah would interpret that but I don't think it's exactly a secret to use that site.

Marx Dudek
Topics: 4
Solutions: 6

I can vouch for Badwolf's system for music delivery.  It's wonderful.

I would say his delivery system is about as good as it gets, and if he's offering a beta for PSD delivery, do definitely take it.