You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Gelese Giano
Topics: 1
Solutions: 0

jewelry: light settings question

Hi residents

I been Building jewelry for awhile but notice it cast a shadow on my avie, which is awful

1, I  set my jewery to light  cuase the POLISH , Silver , Diamonds , ect.

2, My light setting Menu is Nearby local lights , and know i can be change, yet it  will dull effect the look of the pieces

3, I notice other Jewelry i have bought has light on but dosnt cast a shadow ,why ? when i wear, with the same light seeting menu

any advice is welcome

Pics example avlib

Rolig Loon

Re: jewelry: light settings question

Reply to Gelese Giano - view message

There are a couple of ways to make an object "light." If you check Fullbright on the textures page of your edit tool, it acts as a simple switch, making your object look like it's being hit by full daylight regardless of the time of day. Fullbright doesn't emit any light from the object, so it won't affect the appearance of anything nearby, but it is an important tool for making an object stand out from its surroundings.  The other option is to check the Light box on the features page of the edit tool. That switches on the PRIM_POINT_LIGHT option, which turns the object into a light source. You have to use the controls carefully to get the right effect.  By balancing the color of the emitted light, the radius of the area that it affects, and the fall-off rate, you ought to be able to get a pleasing appearance, but it can be a very delicate business. A slight change in the radius or fall-off rate of light can make a big difference in whether your objct looks natural or not. For a piece of jewelry, I suspect that you'll want to have a fairly small radius and a sharp fall-off rate so that the object only lights up whatever is immediately next to it.

At all costs, avoid the other possible option, which is Glow. Even at its lowest settings, glow creates an unnatural radioactive appearance that is very disturbing in anything that wasn't intended to be radioactive. It's not well suited for jewelry. I'd also avoid the temptation to use bling, which is a particle effect that has to be turned on with a script. A little bit of bling goes a long way, and much more than a little bit is generally regarded as really annoying.

Since you mention it, the Nearby Local Lights setting in Preferences only controls what you see, not what other people see. If you have it turned off, you will not see the effect of PRIM_POINT_LIGHT (or glow), even if the creator of an object has enabled those features.

In addition to these lighting controls, you can also use the Shininess setting on the Textures page of your edit tool to add some highlighting to objects like jewelry that are supposed to look reflective. If shininess is set too high it can wipe out color and make your piece look rather stark, but a low or medium setting can be pleasing.

Not as dumb as I look

As Rollig said, it sounds like you are after the Full Bright option, not actual lighting.

I disagree, however, about glow. Low levels of glow (under 10%) can give metals a nice warm appearance, especially combined with low/medium shine. The biggest drawback to glow/shine is that there is no guarantee what others will see, since residents with lesser video cards may have one or both effects disabled.

Galathir Darkstone ~ The Architect of Sin ~ Owner, Sinful Needs ~
Main Store ~ SLMP ~ Blog
Gelese Giano

Thank you

Rolin i'll test these  setting  some i have done another question does shiny " give off a refelection ?

Gelese Giano

Thank you Darkstone

hmmmmm well im fimilar with these setting how ever glow seem to be less than what i was looking for cause i had the experiance of item that wasnt mod that had a glow feature ON

yet ill kepp both yours great helpful hint  in mind and test the medium balance,  due to cutomers  Video cards

Hugs

Gelese

Rolig Loon

Shiny just applies a texture adjustment, creating highlights that make a surface look more polished. Increasing shininess changes the tonal balance, intensifying shadows and highlights and de-emphasizing midtones.  As far as I know, it doesn't make a surface react any differently to nearby lights.

Not as dumb as I look
Faubio Alter

In the build HUD go to the features tab and reduce the light radius distance to the minimum. Some objects do not allow light

Message was edited by: Faubio.Alter .............. Some "shapes" do not allow light

By-the-way, it's pronounced Faa-b-o or Fau-b-o, if you were wondering. I really should have chosen another name. Your curious about something, you type something into the box and then you stay .... forever: Amazing! (Faubio, head palms) :smileyhappy:
Rolig Loon

PRIM_POINT_LIGHT can be applied to any prim, whether you turn it on with the "light" check box in Edit >> Features or turn it on with a script. Setting the light radius to a minimum will guarantee that it gives off no light, regardless of whether the option is clicked or not.

Not as dumb as I look
Faubio Alter

Minumum meaning the least amount needed not the least amount available that amount being none.

By-the-way, it's pronounced Faa-b-o or Fau-b-o, if you were wondering. I really should have chosen another name. Your curious about something, you type something into the box and then you stay .... forever: Amazing! (Faubio, head palms) :smileyhappy:
Rolig Loon

Minumum meaning the least amount needed not the least amount available  that amount being none.

Ah,  OK.  In that case, it's what I recommended in my original reply.  We agree:

For a piece of jewelry, I suspect that you'll want to have a fairly  small radius and a sharp fall-off rate so that the object only lights up  whatever is immediately next to it.
Not as dumb as I look