You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Honored Resident
brucecurb Bowler

How to create a reflective surface such as a mirror?

Hi to all, I a newbie on Second Life. I want to build a glass that I can see my reflection,is it possible to make. I don't remember seeing any mirror on SL since I been here(4 weeks). Thanks for all inputs.

Rolig Loon

Re: How to create a reflective surface such as a mirror?

Reply to brucecurb Bowler - view message

I don't remember seeing any mirror on SL since I been here(4 weeks). 

That's because it can't be done. There are all sorts of tricks for creating false mirrors (the old "put a reversed image on a neighboring prim" trick or the "move the camera around to look at myself from the other side of the 'mirror'" trick, for example) but none of them are very convincing and none come close to being a real reflection. SL's architecture simply doesn't have that capability. If we ever get our old forum archives back again, try doing a search for "mirror." You'll find that your question has been asked loads of times, and people have loads of ideas.  None work.

Not as dumb as I look
Gaia Clary

Actually there is a way to make mirrors in SL ;-) but ...

It is a nasty trick, which uses windlight settings for water reflections. So the usage is very limitted, but there are some very creative examples out there on flickr and other image and video sites...

This are some interesting sources for it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zonja/2675549227/

http://zonjacapalini.wordpress.com/guides/mirror-water/

http://my.opera.com/OracoloJanus/blog/2008/06/28/just-started-some-windlight-extreme-presets

Have fun

the mesh weaver
Ceera Murakami
Topics: 9
Solutions: 123

Yes, but that trick only turns the water's surface very flat and mirror-reflective. It doesn't allow you to put a reflection on a vertical surface. (The images that appear to have vertical morrors require a set and avatar animation that lays the build and the avatar over on their side).

In short, the software that runs Second Life does not support reflective surfaces on a prim. You can't even combine "Shiny" with even a 1% degree of transparency, so you can get a glossy (but not reflective) effect on a solid, but not on a sheet of glass.

Honored Resident
brucecurb Bowler

Thanks for the info. and  links, I 'll check them out soon.

Honored Resident
Cheetah Hammerer

iirc it's possible that 3D applications as a whole have yet to solve this and simply come up with very ingenious tricks, i know that it's one way that graphics have a lot way to come to catch up with reality.

although, it is possible some have done it, it's almost undoubtedly with a graphics engine that was built to be able to do reflections as a consideration during it's development.

tl;dr answer:

i'm not really sure how to go about it, but wish you luck, the water idea seems half decent too.

Honored Resident
brucecurb Bowler

Cool Caara, I will try it out using a water surface. actually what I try to build is a dresser with a big mirror. The only problem is the reflextion. Thanks for the info.

Honored Resident
brucecurb Bowler

Then I think that answer my question, but I still want to try whats out there even if its false reflection. Thanks for input.

Honored Resident
brucecurb Bowler

I think I will try the water idea and go from there.

Honored Resident
brucecurb Bowler

I have to respond to your reply one more time!, I just check the links that you sent me and they are exactly what I was looking for! Thanks again.