You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Resident
Trill Lomu

Help making Alpha clothing layer for shoes

Greetings All,

This is my first time posting to the forum so not sure how many peeps read it and respond.. but here goes:

There is now an Alpha clothing layer (also a tattoo layer but Im not interested in that) and I think it would be an excallent way to get rid of my use of invisaprims in my shoes and boots. I try to keep the invisiprims small, but no matter what... they still look stupid against some surfaces. This new alpha layer sounds like the way to go because you just wear it and it does not effect your other clothing. I have a pattern for the boots, that one is easy, you can basically just make the entire foot and part of the leg that shows invisible. But I think it would be nice to have one that hides just the bottom of the foot and part of the heel and sides of foot so that I can then use these on my high heels and shoes. But I do not seem to be able to master this process. I made a few attempts, but get ragged edges and seem to miss the areas I need to have a transparentcy for. Has anyone else played with this? Are there any templates that would help a rooky such as myself?

Thanks,

Trill Lomu

Honored Resident
Rygel Ryba

Re: Help making Alpha clothing layer for shoes

Reply to Trill Lomu - view message

I'm pretty sure there is a shoe alpha layer example in the Library part of your inventory. Pretty much though - you can use the various clothing templates around and cut out the parts that you want to be invisible and save it as a transparent PNG or TGA and upload it. Then make an alpha layer of it and you're good to go. There are some oddities though. For example, the one I made for my shoes looks good with my pants on, but it's a little too high for my shoes so my ankles are invisisble if I am wearing shorts. lol

RezIdentity SL Social Network for Mature/Adult SL Users and Content Creators (now in Beta)
Rolig Loon

It's not easy to make a shoe alpha template without getting jagged edges.  The best way to do it is to upload the lower body clothing template and make yourself a pair of socks using it.  Wear it in world and take a bunch of pics of what your feet look like with the template on them. Then use those pics as a guide when you draw your alpha mask in Photoshop.

Not as dumb as I look
Resident
Trill Lomu

Thanks for this advice! That is what I will do now. I did manage to find some freebie textures that almost work. But its hard to tell what goes where between the pattern and how it looks when applied to your av. Plus, what happens when you put on a shoe base? For females, wearing high heels as an example... the heel gets distorted. Is there a way to deal with this distortion and get the clean edges?

Honored Resident
Kerryth Tarantal

Wear the shoe base AND the template sock and use your observations to figure out where to make the alpha texture to line up with respect to the shoe base.