thinner walls?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

soooooo I am experimenting inworld to make a home and in order to have less prims I started with a box. Hollow it etc and leave one side open. one irritation however is that I cant seem to reduce the thickness of the walls the same way I can a single panel. am I missing something? whats the best way to make a 4 wall room that will have windows and a door with less prims...3d tool like blender or can I do it inworld?

You can only hollow out a prim so much... if you want thinner walls, you'll have to use individual prims for each wall.  If you want windows and doors, you'll have to use more than one prim for each wall.  The nice part is that, once you set your walls up, you can link them together, then reduce their land impact by half by simply switching them to convex hull.

...Dres

• Like 1

I often use hollowed prims in my builds. The main problem I run into is with hollowed prims the texturing can be off on the inside of the hollowed box. It never seems to match up with the outside. There are still other wasy to save on prims. Wish you luck with your house.

Hi :)

Tenly wrote:

whats the best way to make a 4 wall room that will have windows and a door with less prims...3d tool like blender or can I do it inworld?

To answer that question I'm reusing the images from an earlier post. http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Problem-with-home-mesh/m-p/1787413#M18544

Image 1 shows a little one room building with a door and a single window opening made in Blender.

Image 3 is the physics mesh for the room using the Planes method.

And Image 7 shows the room rezzed inworld (with Show Physics enabled) and the the LI weights.

Physics explained.pngSL House Phys.png

Convex hull?

You can do it all at once, or each prim on its own, one by one, on the Features tab of the Edit dialog, Physics shape type button. Each prim will then behave as its convex hull, not one hull for the whole thing. That switches to new LI accounting, wgere each simple box will cost 0.5. It won't work for hollowed boxes, as their convex hulls would fill in the inside space.

• Like 1

What do you mean make a phantom to get inside?

The physics shape of a sculpty is always the convex hull of a torus fitted into its bounding box. The centre of that is alwaysinaccessible. So you couldn't go inside. One way of dealing with this is to make the sculpty phantom and add invisible (fully transparent) prims to make the physics shape. Alternatively, you can link the invisible physics shape boxes to the sculpty, with one of the boxes as the root, and set the sculpty physics shape type to "None". That works more efficiently with the physics engine (which still detects collisions with phantom, but not None, objects). If you do the latter, make sure to keep the boxes undistorted - only stretching, no other distortions, to keep they physics weight low. You might think you could as well just make the whole thing out of these prims, keeping them visible, but that's no the case, because a wall with a window needs four boxes if it's visible, but only one if it's invisible (provided you don't want to climb through the window).

• 3 weeks later...

is there any kinda general size guide for knowing how big is too big like for doors or windows if you make a basic house in say blender? I wouldnt mind making my basic shape there and then using purchased doors and windows. I dont think I could make the details as nice as some windows Ive seen on the marketplace. I mean really some people are just genius when it comes to details.

Ive made a basic home the old way inworld but it seems like making a basic shape in blender would be less prims?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.