is it possible to add gravity to an object ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes. You can set your object to "Physical" in the Edit window. For a ball, you should set the physics type to "Rubber".

Kicking or dropping balls around SL can be fun, but be careful not to use them to annoy or grief people. If you don't have land of your own, a sandbox is a good place for playing with physical objects. You can also set objects to Temporary, so if they roll away from you & get lost, they will disappear after a time.

The virtual gravity & collisions in SL don't work exactly as they would in RL. You might have a sky platform hanging happily in the sky with no support, but if you turn it physical, it will likely crash into a neighbors house or business, not breaking any objects, but making their experience of SL very broken. You might also have a picture hanging nicely on your wall, but if it's turned physical, it will fall off & land in a very unlikely position from where it would fall in RL.

Persephone has explained how to add both gravity and elasticity to a ball, and she's right about it being great fun to drop things in SL. Should you ever find yourself in a suitable place (an otherwise empty sim with rez rights) among friends who'll tolerate your silliness, create a 64m diameter ball, set it physical per Persephone's instructions, then fly to a great height and drop it. Setting it to "temporary" before dropping it relieves you of fetching it after the drop. It'll disappear within a minute.

Years ago, when I shared a sim with some friends, I'd get in a mood to squish them. I'd shove piles of temporary physical prims off my building platform and wait for IMs (I was well beyond public chat range) to pop up.

;-).

Ok... Create an object/ (rez a prim)   Set Prim type to Sphere. In the object edit menu choose the contents tab and left click  on  New Script.

When new script window opens...copy and paste the following 2 lines into the  Touch Event section.

llSetBuoyancy(0.75);

llSetStatus(STATUS_PHYSICS, TRUE);

Save the script and close  script window and edit window.

Left click on ball .

Play ball :)

Note :  in the prim edit window....you can choose the "features" tab  and set prim Material to rubber to get a nice bouncy effect  as mentioned  before.

dd Temin wrote:

Ok... Create an object/ (rez a prim)   Set Prim type to Sphere. In the object edit menu choose the contents tab and left click  on 
New Script.

When new script window opens...
copy and paste
the following 2 lines into the  Touch Event section.

llSetBuoyancy(0.75);

llSetStatus(STATUS_PHYSICS, TRUE);

Save the script and close  script window and edit window.

Left click on ball .

Play ball
:)

Note :  in the prim edit window....you can choose the "features" tab  and
set prim Material to rubber
to get a nice bouncy effect  as mentioned  before.

like this ??

http://i.imgur.com/ntxHLRb.png

Persephone Emerald wrote:

Yes. You can set your object to "Physical" in the Edit window. For a ball, you should set the physics type to "Rubber".

Kicking or dropping balls around SL can be fun, but be careful not to use them to annoy or grief people. If you don't have land of your own, a sandbox is a good place for playing with physical objects. You can also set objects to Temporary, so if they roll away from you & get lost, they will disappear after a time.

The virtual gravity & collisions in SL don't work exactly as they would in RL. You might have a sky platform hanging happily in the sky with no support, but if you turn it physical, it will likely crash into a neighbors house or business, not breaking any objects, but making their experience of SL very broken. You might also have a picture hanging nicely on your wall, but if it's turned physical, it will fall off & land in a very unlikely position from where it would fall in RL.

is there a way to make teh ball light its really slow to drag about and only way to seem to be able to lift it is in edit mode 

i wnat be able to play keep it up or catch with people

dd Temin has good ideas there about using a simple script to make your balls bouncy. I didn't know that trick.

I've only used the Edit tab myself. You can also move objects without dragging them, by changing their Position in the Edit tab.

Putting a higher number into the Z position window, moves the object up. Putting in a lower number, moves it down. The X & Y positions move it North-South or East-West. If you accidentally lose objects while trying to change their position, they often end up at the edge of the sim, on the ground, or just above 4000 m.

Here's another fun trick:

Make a ball big enough for you to stand completely inside it. Make it hollow to 95%. Stand inside it. Make the inside surface (or Face) Transparent. Then make it physical.

This makes a big hamster ball you can walk around SL inside, kind of the in "The Prisoner" (1960's British sci-fi show).

• Haha 1

dd Temin has good ideas there about using a simple script to make your balls bouncy. I didn't know that trick.

I've only used the Edit tab myself. You can also move objects without dragging them, by changing their Position in the Edit tab.

Putting a higher number into the Z position window, moves the object up. Putting in a lower number, moves it down. The X & Y positions move it North-South or East-West. If you accidentally lose objects while trying to change their position, they often end up at the edge of the sim, on the ground, or just above 4000 m.

Make a ball big enough for you to stand completely inside it. Make it hollow to 95%. Stand inside it. Make the inside surface (or Face) Transparent. Then make it physical.

This makes a big hamster ball you can walk around SL inside, kind of the in "The Prisoner" (1960's British sci-fi show).

that is fun :P

but it doesnt move very fast is a way to reduce the weight of the object so its easier to move ?

Now that's thinking inside the ball! I'm gonna add you to my "people to call for fun ideas" list.

Thanks.  :-D

- Hey, I wonder what would happen if you were inside a rubber ball & rolled off a sky platform?

You'd bounce with it, in theory that's how it is supposed to work(and how it has worked numerous times). But...this is sl, anythign can happen, you could just as easily get knocked out of it or go flying in the opposite direction.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.