Where do I begin?

Gertjaars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I have finally just got back into SL and I honestly don't know where to begin when it comes to clothing creations. I'd really love to enhance my skills and try and showcase them here, because I love skinning and such. I need to know where to begin, not only in game, but also in Photoshop. I remember back when I played I had a 3D model in Photoshop that when I drew on the layer it updated on the model, and I can't seem to find those files online anywhere yet. Lastly I know what clothing I want to make first as an attempt, but I am not sure if I need a mesh that is close to what I want or do I just like "draw on the avatar"? I don't want a flat dress.

Thanks if anyone can help with a point on where to begin. I hope to make some nice creations.

There are now two types of clothing in SL.  System clothing is painted on traditional avatars,  Mesh in the rigged, non rigged or fit mesh variety is 3D clothing that is attached to your avatar. 

The Second Life Wiki is your friend when you need information:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials

You can also use Google to find all kinds of information from blogs with designer tips to Video tutorials, to creating mesh in Blender or whatever 3D Modeling you care to use.

Thank you for that link, but where would I begin if say I found a mesh I like for instance these meshes:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/FREE-Valery-black-mesh-dress/6212540?page=2

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Store-Gift-Vitrimi-Retro-Dress-Polka-Dot-Fat-Pack/6147265

now how would I go about editing these meshes since they are the right "mesh foundation" for what I have in mind?

Gertjaars wrote:

Hello,

I have finally just got back into SL and I honestly don't know where to begin when it comes to clothing creations. I'd really love to enhance my skills and try and showcase them here, because I love skinning and such. I need to know where to begin, not only in game, but also in Photoshop. I remember back when I played I had a 3D model in Photoshop that when I drew on the layer it updated on the model, and I can't seem to find those files online anywhere yet. Lastly I know what clothing I want to make first as an attempt, but I am not sure if I need a mesh that is close to what I want or do I just like "draw on the avatar"? I don't want a flat dress.

Thanks if anyone can help with a point on where to begin. I hope to make some nice creations.

Welcome back!haha. Anyway, if you are familiar with photoshop design, you might want to just buy some full perm clothes and just edit the texture of the cloth itself.

If you want to do the Mesh cloth, I would suggest using Blender and there is a lot of ways to create a rigged mesh cloth in second life. (using avastar and without using avastar) :

haha,well,you have to google it up. Usually they will have a lot of vertices which will increase your Land impact.

Try to familiarize with shrinkwrap modifier in blender and you will get the idea of it.Only the weighing part is quite complicated. :P

even if you downloaded any mesh, sometimes the weigh of that mesh with your avatar is incorrect.

And what is a dae file? Is it readable by SL or photoshop, or? Because I want to take a free full perm mesh and make a design on it. How would I get the UV maps and alphas for that particular mesh? I wouldn't know where to begin I don't think. I can texturize and everything, but meshes are all new to me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.