Watch in Action?

iCade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've seen that option a lot of times in the SL marketplace, and I'd love to have that for my Falling snow arts as well but I don't know how?

Basically, it's a wonderful picture frame, with a piece of art, and a layer of snow falling in front of it. It's a very smooth animation, not too fast, not too slow and I'd love to showcase it on the marketplace as it is, instead of a still image.

Could someone refer me to a guide as to how to do that please?

Can you provide a link to an example of what you're talking about?  I'm not totally sure I understand your description.  I can think of a few things that could potentially fit.

If you're talking about an animated image on a page on the marketplace site, my guess is it's just an animated GIF, like one would use on any other website.

The only "guide" I know of is this two or three sentence entry in the Knowledge Base:

Video URL - Have you made a video tutorial or a marketing promo to show your product in action? This can be a delightful way to quickly show what it's all about. YouTube is the most popular video site, but there are many alternatives. The Video URL can actually be any standard URL, but the link put here appears under the listing's Details tab as View Video ».view_video.png

Here's an example of what I mean

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Snow-Tree-Animated-Picture/2805953

See the 'watch in action' link under the main picture. If it is a gif, how is it taken considering the picture is in SL and I am using a script to loop the falling snow layer? I just don't understand how to show it smoothly animated in the market place considering it's not a simple gif, but a prim with art, a prim layered atop of it with the smoothly animated snowfall and the picture frame on a third prim x.x

I can think of two ways to do it.  One would be to record your screen, while viewing the item in SL.  You can do this with FRAPS, or with whatever your screen recorder of choice happens to be.  Then take the video file, and convert it to GIF.  You can do this in Premiere, or in any number of video editing programs, or GIF authoring programs.

The other method would be to create the effect in Photoshop Extended, or AfterEffects, or in any other program that allows you to animate individual layers.  Put the snow image on a layer above the background layer, and animate it to fall at the same speed as it falls in your SL version.  Export the results as an aniated GIF, and you're all set.

• Like 1

There is a nifty little program to convert animated gif for SL use  "Gif To SL"

http://secondlife.mitsi.com/secondlife/Posts/Gif/Create-Gif-in-Second-Life.htm

http://www.peregrinesalon.com/anim/ ONLINE version

I would find a nice transparent animated snowing gif and put it on a transparent prim, pop the script in, and layer it over any image that is on another prim

• Like 1

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

There is a nifty little program to convert animated gif for SL use  "Gif To SL"

ONLINE version

I would find a nice transparent animated snowing gif and put it on a transparent prim, pop the script in, and layer it over any image that is on another prim

Thanks Dilbert but I am trying to do the exact opposite. The product is in world, I need a gif of it for my marketplace listing. It's made up of 3 prims, the picture frame, the art, and a transparent layer with a snowfall animation (using script to loop it smoothly).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.