Thoughts about textures and fps

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I have been developing my parcels.   I have taken and Innovation House and a Commercial building that I bought from the MP.  I have retextured both.

Basically I created them at 512 TGA colormap and normal map texture files then uploaded them.   In most cases I repeated/tiled then since I made them seamless and it gives more detail.   I am not sure if this is the culpret since now I am way down to a 7fps rate.

Any thoughts?

ADigitalArtsStudio1_001.jpg

DigitalArtsStudio1_006.jpg

DigitalArtsStudio1_004.jpg

Has your total prim usage increased at all? Using materials on prim objects forces them to use mesh land-impact calculations, which in cases of complex physics can really inflate the LI.

And I guess the other related question is whether your fps drops are constant, or just while things are rezzing.

Perhaps, it's not the textures you have used that drop your fps, has anything else on the sim changed? Are there more people on the sim? Lag isn't limited to a single parcel, it's spread over an entire sim, so at worst, your neighbours can cause you and the other land owners lag. And of course, vice versa.

The texture size of 512x512 is quite alright, definitely better than the 1024x1024 size monsters a lot of merchants upload to texture a door handle with.

I found your place in your profile and visited to see if I could detect anythging. From the outside views in your pics, I was getting steady > 100fps (GTX 670, ultra+ALM+shadows, dd 270m rvlf 4.0). I guess it must be something else or a transient problem. Or did you change it back? Couldn't check inside because it told me to go away.

Drongle McMahon wrote:

I found your place in your profile and visited to see if I could detect anythging. From the outside views in your pics, I was getting steady > 100fps (GTX 670, ultra+ALM+shadows, dd 270m rvlf 4.0). I guess it must be something else or a transient problem. Or did you change it back?
Couldn't check inside because it told me to go away.

Drongle, couldn't you just cam where you wanted to go?

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Drongle McMahon wrote:

I found your place in your profile and visited to see if I could detect anythging. From the outside views in your pics, I was getting steady > 100fps (GTX 670, ultra+ALM+shadows, dd 270m rvlf 4.0). I guess it must be something else or a transient problem. Or did you change it back?
Couldn't check inside because it told me to go away.

Drongle, couldn't you just cam where you wanted to go?

It also begs the question, why do people put places in their picks that they don't want anyone to go to?

(you may treat that as a rhetorical question)

Naw...it's been pretty quite.  At least until I buy up and developthe other parcels. :D

Yes I am trying to reduce everythign to about 512.  I start with 2048 then reduce and optimize them.  Might just have to keep testing.  Thanks for the feedback.

Hiya,

Thanks for running out there and check things out.  The house is usually locked up when I am not there.  The studio, bistro and open space are always open.

Maybe it is an an unknown wIll keep testing. 

Hey Drongle,

I wanted to double-check with you about where you were ousted.  It was the house and not any of the parcels right?  I want to make sure that the studio and the parcels are all set to public.

Thanks in advance,

A

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.