TIP: How to get free temporary image uploads using the standard LL viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Old-timers may already know this, but anyone can get free temporary image uploads using the standard LL Viewer. It takes some extra steps over third-party viewers but it works.

1. Log into Aditi, the beta grid. Uploads there are all free.
  2. Upload the images you want to test. Make a note somewhere of their UUIDs.
  3. Log out and re-log into the main grid, Agni.
  4. Use a script to assign the image by UUID to your build.

This lets you view the image which is stored on the beta grid. No one else can see it, your object will look gray to others. But you will be able to see how it looks and decide if you want to upload it permanently to the main grid.

Here is a script that you can use to assign the image to your object:

{
state_entry()
{
llSetTexture("5748decc-f629-461c-9a36-a35a221fe21f",ALL_SIDES);
}
}

Substitute the UUID of your test image for the one in the script.

Hopefully we'll get temp images in the LL viewer some time, but for now this is a viable solution. It's particularly helpful if you have lots of images to test, because you can upload them all in bulk on the beta grid.

• Like 1

With phoenix you actually have two choices, you can use a temp upload, which others can see as long as you don't log out and the local bitmap browser which only you can see. The upside to this is when you are done texturing something all the textures are in the browser and you can upload them faster.

• 6 months later...

I can't believe that people have been paying for every upload all these years since the advent of Phoenix. Textures, sculpt maps, animations ... they all are subject to glitches and it's good to know that you have what you want before paying for it. The fun in building will cease if temporary uploads for free end, for me, at least. I think it's incredibly "cheap" on the part of LL to penalize people who want to build and will go through many trial and error attempts before getting what they want.

you can do the same thing by saving a file as one of the used local images if you know the uuid for the image in the viewer... it's very similar to the trick that Second Skin used to for advanced avatar skins some time back...

it's been too long for me to remember what any of those values are, but they are visible to everyone else.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.