Strange look to mesh object when unjoined

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've uploaded a hairstyle joined in 4 different pieces and the bangs look perfect.  However, when I upload it with all of the pieces unjoined the bangs go wonky.  The shape has not changed in any way.  There are no textures on the piece but it looks like there is some sort of bake on the piece.  The only difference between the two hairstyles below is that one is joined and the other is not.  They are both from the same blend file.  Anyone know what might be causing this or what can be done to fix it? 

Thank in advance for any assistance you can provide. 

Strange Mesh Problem

That looks like an issue with the vertex normals, which look like they are averaged/unified on that edge with the inside polygons. You want to make that edge hard/sharp again. How to do that depends on your modeling program.

Edit: Now that I re-read it, I see that you are using a .blend file. So you may want to check out the Edge Split Modifier in Blender.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modifiers/Generate/Edge_Split

(As a side note, just to mention it: I wouldn't recommend using the Generate Normals checkbox in the uploader at all. Do all the shading, hard/smooth edges, manual vertex normal editing in the modeling program, and leave Generate Normals unchecked.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.