Sparkle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks, I've no idea. I've talked with others too and taken them to examples but they couldn't figure it out either. It's usually an extra layer of skirt or fabric that looks to appear moving, or "sparkling". Someone once told me they're cranking the horizontal and vertical in oposite directions, or the rep meter and rotation as this one is...you can't see this but the top and skirt appear to sparkle. That's Snapshot_025.png

it's hard to give examples here with images.

I would guess it has texture rotation -- or it could have a script that flipped between textures, but that would probably involve some gray when the textures first loaded.  Oh, but it could be using that script that uses just one texture but rotates between different sections of the texture so it has the effect of multiple textures but it does not need to load but one.

It is a seamless transparent texture with random tiny dots all over it of no more than 1 to a few pixels each .  It is then applied to an overlay, set at full bright and the horizontal and vertical repeats are set for a large number like 500-1000 or more depending on your texture.  You have to play around with the repeats to get the effect you want for a particular garment while avoiding moire patterns. 

Instead of a transparent texture you can also use a regular texture if the contrast is high enough. With materials support now (and a lot of people able to see it, it seems) you can even fake some of that by creating a specular map with single "sparkle" dots and set the repeat accordingly.

In short: There's quite a few ways to do it.

You're right it could very well be materials - I made real 3d sequins using materials:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Sequin-Textures-Full-Perm-DT-Material-Collection/6305288

Even modelled seperate sequins at different angles so people can add them to their fabrics.:matte-motes-sunglasses-2:

Or maybe they are using material gemstones:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/60-Gemstone-Textures-Full-Perm-DT-Material-Collection/6294014

A lot of possibilities are coming for clothing designers that they had not imagined was possible before.

• 1 year later...

Create a texture like this. Copy that layer and put it in the alpha channel as well. Create a sphere. Duplicate the sphere in the same location, scale it slightly larger so that the surface hovers slightly above the other sphere. Apply the sparkle texture to the outer sphere and crank up repeats, and glow.

Moving the cam around the sphere will make it sparkle.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.