Skin Templates

starflitz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You use the same templates for all the imagining editing software packages.  GIMP can open Photoshop images (so can others) so that is not a problem.  Chip Midnight's 1024 by 1024 PSD files are probably the best (but Robin Sojourner's are also very good..........I use both).

For tutorials a quick Google search brought up this:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=SL+skin+tutorials+for+GIMP&oq=SL+skin+tutorials+for+GIMP&gs_l=hp.3...4053.17268.0.17662.36.31.4.1.1.0.944.8322.1j0j13j2j0j3j3.22.0.les%3B..1.0...1c.1.I7NbswXzRzU&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=3863b0e1832833fe&biw=1536&bih=787

Try some of those links which will undoubtedly lead to more links.........there are literally thousands of tutorials that are useful for GIMP users for clothing and skin making in SL.  Take your pick.

Oh, where to start?  I was in your boat about 6 years ago..........I was so lost and impatient.  I was using GIMP and everything was for Photoshop.  I just did not get it because I thought GIMP was GIMP and PS was PS and never the two should meet.  That's when it dawned on me that I had to start from the beginning........go back to Kindergarten, so to speak.  I went on Amazon.com and purchased a book on GIMP.........I knew I needed to learn the program before I could learn to make clothing or skins.  The book I bought was "Beginning GIMP from Novice to Professional" by Akkana Peck.  That was 6 years ago and I paid about $30 USD for it.........the best $30 I spent in a long, long time.  I forced myself to forget clothing making (clothing making and skins are made almost exactly the same) until I learned the basics of GIMP.  I took me a few weeks to get comfortable and maybe a couple months to feel I was ready to give clothing making a serious shot..........and it's been a load of fun since.  I ventured in skins about a year later using Eloh Elliot's templates as a guide (as has been mentioned).......now I wear nothing but my very own skins.  :)

You've got start from the beginning..........I mean the very beginning.  It won't take long I promise you and you'll be so happy you backed up a little to get going again.  Another priceless resource is the old forums archive ( http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/109/1.html ).  Yes the information is old...........but clothing making and skin making have not changed much at all over the years.  Textures are still textures, layers are still layers, and file formats are still file formats.  Start at the top of the "stickies"........enjoy several hours of reading some of the best texture artists in SL sharing their experience and skills with everyone.

Starflitz, you're asking something that is impossible for me to do.........teach you how to make clothing and skins for SL using GIMP.  When I first started SL and got that almost unbearable urge to make clothing I was just you..........I was totally lost, confused and didn't know where to start.  I made a fool of myself on the old forums trying to "get it"......people like Chosen Few, Chip Midnight, and Robin Sojourner were the best known creators in SL who participated in the forums.  I read everthing they posted.....and just got more lost than ever.  They were talking Greek to me........I didn't understand what they were saying when you tossed out words like "layers", "channels", "mask", and what the hell is a Brezier path?  It took me a while to figure out I needed to learn what the components of an image was.......learn what a layer is, a mask, a channel, what the difference is between grey scale, RBG, RBGA and how that's important to understand in order to learn how to do what I wanted to do (make clothes)

I'm going to link you to the GIMP turorial page.  But, I'm afraid you'll be just as lost after reading and viewing the tuts if you don't learn the basics first.  That's why I suggested a book........you can read, while you do the excercises on your computer (that is something that is almost impossible to do with a video tutorial since the tutorial assumes you know the basics).  Forget about clothes, forget about skins, forget about templates...............learn the basics and suddenly you'll start understanding what it is the tutorials are talking about.  If that spark flashes for you like it did for me, you're in for countless hours and days of enjoyment.......believe me, it worth the steps backward.

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

starflitz wrote:

Oh... well, I mostly need to know how to use the templates now. I have templates
:)
Head, arms, legs, etc.. I just need to know how to put the skin ON the templates. Never done this before.

Try these - really basic, but you can get an idea. Then take one of Eloh's skin PSD files apart and see how to handle shading.

http://www.mermaiddiaries.com/2007/09/day-363-creating-goth-avatar-skin-part.html 

http://www.mermaiddiaries.com/2007/10/day-377-creating-goth-avatar-skin-part.html 

starflitz wrote:

Peggy, thank you for the resource. I'm just so confused on how to do it, i've been trying for 6 months. I still have not a clue, i do better with a video turtorial showing the latest update on GIMP 2.8! If you wouldn't mind if you have time?

So you want her to create a video tutorial for you?

How about going to YouTube and typing GIMP into the search box?

http://www.youtube.com/user/GIMPtricks is one channel that's got good stuff.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.