Pool Water

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay just finished my first house and I have some water in the pool that I want to be able to walk into. When i change it to phantom... and link it to my finished house... it in turn makes EVERYTHING phantom. What is a way to make it so the water can be walked into and be able to link it to the rest of my build. Thanks so much for your help :)

Yes.   If you set a prim to phantom and link it, it turns the whole linkset phantom.   Ditto volume detect.

One work-round would be to set the water's PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_TYPE to PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_NONE, and then you can link it as a child prim.

The drawback to that is that it means the house will have to use the mesh accounting system to calculate land impact (LI), which means you should go and set everything to PHYSICS_SHAPE_TYPE_CONVEX (sorry, I'm a scripter, so it's second nature to me to use the scripting constants -- set this on the middle, "Features," tab of the editor to try to keep the LI down.    Do this in a sandbox, because switching a prim build to mesh can send the land impact through the roof under certain circumstances.

The other work-round is simply not to link the water prim to the build.    If you're planning on selling the house, you can put it in a faux-rezzer, and that way the water will get properly placed automatically.   Or you could ask a scripter to make the water rez in place for you, when you touch a switch.

Nevermind I found out by just messing around with it for an hour lol. In case anyone else needs to know how to ... I linked all prims including the water and then hit edit linked... selected the water and went to Features tab... then under physics shape and selected none instead of prim or convex hull. As soon as I hit none it worked! YAY

And did you check the L.I. after you did that?  That's what Innula warned you about.  You may have been very lucky and found that the L.I. either went DOWN or didn't go UP very much.  It's just as likely that your L.I. could have gone through the roof, especially if you had any hollowed, sliced, or cut prims in it. In your place, I would have opted to leave the water unlinked and set its position on_rez with a script.

• 11 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.