My Alignment Texture

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Firstly, I'd love some feed-back on the alignment textures I've created. Such as, if you think they might be useful to you, if you find them problematic in any way or if you have suggests for their improvement... etc.

For years, I've been using the "Free Texture Alignment Pattern by Chosen Few" and have found it to be extremely helpful.  The problem I have with it is that its use relies heavily upon being able to differentiate between the different colors, which can be quite difficult for someone such as I, who is partially colorblind. So, I set out to make my own.

I researched alignment textures on the net to get an idea of the best way to approach this and ended up cobbling together what I considered to be the best aspects of the ones I'd run across in the process.  Once I created the basic prototype, I started using it inworld and found it to be extremely easy for me to use.  Since then, I've made a few improvements and I think I have it about as perfect as I can get it.  In posting about it here, I'm hoping some fresh eyes can give me some much needed insight into whether or not it's good to go or if it needs more work.

At first, I choose to go with gray-scale, simply because I had to make sure that using it wasn't at all contingent upon being able it see colors.  This is what I came up with...

Alignment_Texture_Grayscale_SLF.png

As an afterthought, I decided to also create a colorized version for those who don't share my deficiency...

Alignment_Texture_SLF.png

Please, let me know what you think.

Secondly, once I have them perfected, I'd really like to offer them for free on Marketplace and perhaps even some inworld, building-resource locations.

Since I've never set anything for sale on Marketplace, I haven't the first idea of how to even start.  I'm sure I can figure it out easily enough, but I wanted to ask if anyone might have some advice about doing so, which might apply specifically to this particular offering. Such as in which category it would best fit.  Right now, I'm leaning towards Building and Object Components/Creators Tools.

Also, if anyone has suggestions of inworld locations that would be appropriate venues at which to offer them, please, let me know.  My ultimate objective is to make them as widely available as possible to those who might find them to be useful... for free, of course. While I will be offering them full-perm, with practically no restrictions on usage or distribution, what I don't want is for anyone to sell them as stand-alone textures.  I believe it's simply unconscionable for people to make money from the selling of freebies.

Although it would be nice, I'm leaning away from requiring any accreditation restrictions, simply because that might get complicated and the last thing I want to do is restrict distribution, except as I've previously stated. Idk, perhaps I'm overthinking things.

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

...Dres

P.S.  Should I not be able to respond to replies in a timely manner, I do apologize.  I'm dealing with a death in the family and may not be available as much as I would like for the next few days.

I have to agree - Second Life is full of things that don't consider color blindness. 

Fortunately I don't suffer from it but I try to consider it when making things.

Good job on your alignment texture, I would stick it on the marketplace and just make it available. If people use it then great. 

One other thing is you could contact the bestseller alignment texture owner. Get him to add this to his pack.......

Those look interesting, Dres -- I use the Texture Alignment function built into TPV but it only works with Planar and some things cannot be Planar. Also I think the LL viewer does not have alignment. Builder's Brewery folks might want to make them available.

Being Red Green colorblind has never been much of an issue in my life until I came to SL.  I have to really hunt for those Red and Green arrows and it gets annoying. I submitted a request to Singularity that their radar numbers not be light green, as we RG Colorblind ppl cannot see them, but they just closed it without comment :-)  Someday if we run out of other disaffected minorities maybe the world will hear the cries of the colorblind. 

Thank you both for replying... I truly appriciate the feed back.

markkemp wrote:

I have to agree - Second Life is full of things that don't consider color blindness. 

Oh, I know. It irks me to no end when people name textures or hair colors some arbitrary thing like "Breeze" or "Venusian".  I can't tell you how often I've had to get my sister, Grimhilda, to come sit next to me and translate color names into something I can comprehend... and heaven knows, it's not beyond her, should she be in such a mood, to tell me that blue is purple and green is brown.  After all, she did name herself after an evil queen for a reason.

markkemp wrote:

Good job on your alignment texture, I would stick it on the marketplace and just make it available. If people use it then great.

Thanks, I definitely intent to.  While I made it specifically for my own use, it occurred to me that it might very well could be useful for someone else.

markkemp wrote:

One other thing is you could contact the bestseller alignment texture owner. Get him to add this to his pack.......

I have no idea who the best selling alignment texture owner/creator is.  I've always used Chosen Few's version, but I did not buy it from them directly and I don't think they actually have it on offer in SL.  I looked on Marketplace to see how prevalent alignment textures are and I was surprised by the very scant offering of them there.  I'm beginning to think that, with the advent of either scripted or TPV based alignment tools, the demand for alignment textures is becoming increasingly non-existent.

Nevertheless, if you've got someone specific in mind, let me know who they are and I'll gladly suggest the inclusion of my textures in their offering.

...Dres

Pamela Galli wrote:

Those look interesting, Dres

Thanks, Pam.

Pamela Galli wrote:

I use the Texture Alignment function built into TPV but it only works with Planar and some things cannot be Planar.

I do too, but I find that it's not as accurate as should be.  It's always slightly off, which is why I find an alignment texture so beneficial.  Perhaps I'm more of a perfectionist, when it comes to texture alignment, then are most people.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Also I think the LL viewer does not have alignment.

It's funny how Ebbe talks about the creator being king in the next platform... and, at the same time, they haven't included anything as functional as the alignment tool in their viewer for their current platform.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Builder's Brewery folks might want to make them available.

Yeah, I thought of them... I'll send Sensuous an IM and see if she thinks it'd be beneficial to do so.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Being Red Green colorblind has never been much of an issue in my life until I came to SL.  I have to really hunt for those Red and Green arrows and it gets annoying. I submitted a request to Singularity that their radar numbers not be light green, as we RG Colorblind ppl cannot see them, but they just closed it without comment :-)  Someday if we run out of other disaffected minorities maybe the world will hear the cries of the colorblind. 

I'm not just Red Green colorblind... I find it difficult to differentiate between most colors, depending on their shade.  That being said, I've never thought of myself as being a member of a "disaffected minority" simply because of my colorblindness.  I'm terrified of what sort of legislation might come about as a result of the "cries of the colorblind" should they actually become a significant political consideration... simply because I dislike the thought of such restrictions on society.

If you think about it, there is no solution for us, other than to struggle along, trying to decipher what we're seeing.  I created these textures because I wanted something upon which I could rely.  I wanted to share them because I thought they might be beneficial to the SL community.

I was very proud of the alignment textures that I made and I was very excited to be able to offer them to the SL community.  It was only after I researched it and realized that alignment textures aren't really very sought after that I realized how insignificant my offering was.  Nevertheless, I will put it on Marketplace... just in case someone might find it useful.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.