Metal lamp, shadows, lighting? realism?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im learning and Im trying to create a simple light the old fashioned way...inworld. when I apply the metal texture Im not getting it the way I want. Ive tried rotating the texture but its not the way I want it. For example Id love it if the darker part of the texure were above instead of on the side.

I wish that light could affect the shadows on it...so lighter on one side than the other. but Im just getting the same effect as if Id drawn static colors onto the stem for example.

It might be I am asking to much for old fashioned prim creation..or..I simply do not know enough about what I am doing. 

I dont know blender all that well but Id be willing to try it in blender if that would give me better results. Am I looked for too much? Simple metal that reflects shadow and light depending on where the sun or moon is, as well as what its own light casts?

here is an image of what I am working on:

Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 12.31.02 PM.png

To me it sounds like you're looking for some kind of ambient occlusion effect. You won't achieve this even with advanced materials turned on and the use to the right material textures.

You'd need to use materials AND make a model in blender with the ambient occlusion baked in. 

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but the "good old way" is not necessarily the "best looking way" anymore :matte-motes-smile:

OK. I have been building with prims over on OpenSim :D so perhaps I am a bit more in tune with this since you said in your post "old fashioned way" and I am guessing that using mesh and ambient occlusion maps is NOT what you are looking for.

I think your problem is likely that you have been using path cut instead of dimple. Here are some screen shots that should help. The first is taken with advanced lighting ON. The second with it off. You could get more variation by having your texture with more contrast.

shadowlamp1.jpg

shadowlamp2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.