I have a UV with a pink haze. I don't want it pink.

SuperSuz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought a full perm item and it had a UV map with a pink hue in the body of the outlined texture map.  And now, like a bunch of others before me, the daunting trial and error begins.  YOu watch videos and the little differences are left behind.  NO video I've watched has this:  How do I remove that hue so it does not show up in the texture map for the mesh item?  It also has the grid lines and they don't show up.

The textures that came with are the

Both Targa and PNG versions of 

UV

AO GB

I have not figured out what GB stands for but I know it's an Ambient Occlusion and I know that it's the shadowing.  Those are white with the shadows and I know to include the AO's as the first layer in the list of layers.  

It's the UV that has been colored with a pink hue.  And when I add a layer of painted color or a texture and create a finished PNG, it shows up with the same pink hue included in what I used to color the surface of the item.  

Why did the kit come with a pink colored UV?  

All the instructions I have found have a transparent or black background with no pink hue in the examples that they work with.  

This may be one of two things going on here.

1.  I am not supposed to use that pink hue layer in my photo editing tool in this way.  It's used for a specific purpose and I don't include it as a layer in my final finished product. Anyone know what I am supposed to be using it for please let me know.  I think I was using the TGA UV in all the choices of templates that I was given by the manufacturer.

2. Oh I include it alright.  And I need to make the pink "blank" so it does not show through.  It's a case of being so new to photo editing tools that I don't know how to select the inside of that grid map and remove the pink hue.  Please state the obvious if you know that's a yes and include the instructions for GIMP or another photo viewer because they are all fairly similar.

I learn best by sequences written in order.  For example,   

Step one:  Use the whatever tool to get the inside to "select"

Step two: click some other buttons called ... use control alt whatever to ....

Step three:  Don't forget to ... It doesn't work unless you....

Or go with this approach:  I don't know what the heck you are talking about but when I texture my full perms, I basically grab the so and so type of texture from the seller and then I basically do the following steps with it/them....

Thanks so much and I hope this helps others.

Super N00bie Suz

People have very different interpretations of the term "UV map". The essential map is really just a list of numbers saying which texture coordinates have to be associated with each vertex for each polygon in the mesh. It usually ends up being represented as an image that can be used to guide the contruction of textures that will be displated on the mesh surface. There is a great variety of ways this image can be made, from those with just the vertices (and interpolated edges) of the polygons, to those with a texture that might be already suitable for use as it is.

Without seeing it, I am guessing that  the map should be used as a separate layer to guide the making of your texture and should not be included at all in your exported image, in which case....

1. Make a new image with the same dimensions as the map

2. Add a new layer and paste the map into it

3. Change the opacity of the new layers to as low as possible while you can still see the map

4. Switch back to the original layer and do your painting, turning the map layer on and off with the eye icon as needed.

5. Add more layers as needed, but keeping the map layer on top.

6. Turn the map layer off with the eye icon on the laft og the layer panel.

7. Export the images (png or tga)

8. Save the native GIMP file if you want to be able to continue editing later.

If I understand you question correctly the person making you UV map color coded the different parts of the material list. This is often done to keep track of various materials (Blender term no the specular and normal maps that we also call materials - yes, confusing). So BECAUSE the added a color code while they were working the UV map comes out color code also.

Folks use UV maps in different ways. I never use them so I am not an authority by any means. BUT you should be able to lower the saturation of the colors down to nothing in your graphics program. Doing that will essentially make them disappear. Another way to go would be to work on a layer above the UV map and then hide the UV layer before export. I don't use Photoshop or GIMP so this is just the general idea.

Hope it helps some. SOME folks I suspect like the different colors in the UV map as it lets them know which pieces belong to the different material layers and can be adjusted after upload.

Desaturate the map,  like the others said.If someone's working in blender and tints a face a different color, that shows on the UV map, and it can be pretty helpful if there are two similar shaped faces, like the front and back of a shirt.

You don't leave the UV map visible for the finished product, it is just incredibly helpful if you choose to use stitching or lines on the item. To do this, in your photoediting program you just layer it over the AO, then go to another layer and use the pen tool to draw on stitching lines, then use your favorite stitching brush...it makes lining things up much easier with a well designed mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.