How to remove background of a picture?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I created a nice text in adobe photoshop and removed the background so only the text shows. I saved it in both photoshop form and jpeg form. When i uploaded the jpeg form with the remove background in photoshop it shows up with a white background in sl. How can I make it so only the letters show without the background?

There is no need at all ever to upload pictures to SL as a JPG file.

As Chic told use PNG file. Even better is TGA file where you can easily control whether to show the transparency or not.
24 bit TGA file = without transparency, 32 bit TGA file = with transparency.

In a PNG file controlling the transparency could be a bit trickier if you don't "how stuff works". :smileyhappy:

As PNG and TGA file are lossless there is no quality loss in those files.
JPG file is lossy format, there is lways some quality loss.

• 4 weeks later...

as an add on for what Coby wrote.

.jpg will flatten your image + there is no alpha channel in this format

why 24 or 32 bits?

Each channel R(ed), G(reen) and B(leu) has 8 bits on top of that there is an alpha channel that also need 8 bits

RGB = 8+8+8 = 24 bits no alpha channel

RGB+ Alpha = 8+8+8+8 = 32 bits texture with alpha channel

So pls mind: if you would save a texture that is not to be suposed to have an alpha channel you do not want to save this as a 32 bits. Even though it might be not immediately visible you take a high risk that the texture will "bleed". It becomes inmediately visible when you make this channel visible in sl. (crtl+alt+t if I remember well)

This is a mistake I've seen quite often and too basic to be allowed.

.png or .tga.... well there are a lot of discussions around this choice among very advanced PS users. Personally I prefer .tga under other for the reason Coby mentioned.

Coby Foden wrote:

There is no need at all ever to upload pictures to SL as a JPG file.

The only reason I can think of where you would want to use a JPG is:-

If you want that texture to be referenced from a web page which calls up on the UUID of the texture within SL, you'd better upload it as a JPG or it doesn't show up on the web page.

An example of this is an inworld vending system which is web managed.

I don't know why but it doesn't show if uploaded as a PNG but I can't say i've tried it with a TGA as the source.  Odd really since they're both converted to JPG2000 but there's clearly some bit that gets converted differently.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.