Height of a house

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all ^^

I'll try to build a house, not gonna be much, just want to try this. I feel that is you learn something, link it with a goal so you can work towards something. I like to learn building, so, why not a house...

However, I have set up a prim in my house and made it as hight (Z-size) as the inside, from the floor to the ceiling...FIVE meters!!! Wow, that is as high as a two story RL house. What is the norm (if any) of how hight/wide/deep a house has to be in SL?

I see about half that much as comfortable, but...I dont know the norms (again, if any)...

Mell

xxx

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070629144535AAi0AOv

"In the USA, the standard residential door height is 6'-8". However, 7'-0" doors have become common in high end houses. Commercial doors can be 8'-0" or more depending on their use and location."

7-feet is 2.1336.

So if you avatar is "too-scale" (has a height that when measured against a prim gives a number that is 'realistic'), you can scale your building to have doors that are 2.13m on the Z-axis.

If your avatar is one of the common giants in SL - find your height and compare it to the 'average height' of your avatar's ethnicity and gender.

Say your avatar is meant to be a US-caucasian female. Average height of164cm or 5'4.5".

http://www.halls.md/chart/height-weight.htm

Lets say when you measure yourself against a prim you get 7-feet... 213cm.

164/213 = 0.7699530516431925.

- This by the way... is roughly the value I have to scale down most buildings I buy in SL (I scale them down to 0.7-0.8 of what they were built for because builders are so inconsistent).

So if you want to make doors for 213cm tall female avatars, you need to make them 213/0.76 = 276.64 in height.

If you want to be precise on this, use a numeric resizer script. Like this one:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linkset_resizer

Free and ready to drop into an item here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Linkset-Resizer-Script/1224156

From the door, you can extrapolate out the rest of the building.

The thing of it is is for a start your real life camera (AKA eyes) is in your head. Your SL camera is normally above your head and you can move it around independent of your avatar. If you base your dimensions on RL you are going to end up with your camera on the second floor when you are on the first floor or stuck in a wall or outside the building.

Also most people have an avatar that is bigger than normal RL measurements. (in all kinds of directions). So you need to give yourself extra head room.

There are no norms but as an indicator the rooms in my Linden home are 5m in height.

Yep, my self-built skybox was designed to accomodate the default SL camera position, with half a meter of extra headroom. That resulted in 5m ceiling height.

I live in Forgotten City's lighthouse, which has (along with the windmill) the lowest ceilings of any buildings on the sim. Those "cozy" ceilings are 5m high. The larger brownstones have 8+m ceilings on the first floor and 9+ on the second.

It's all about the camera.

Take into account the architectural style of the house as Maddy pointed out.  Five to six meters is good for 'standard' walls, but some homes have higher ceilings, so you'd want to make the walls higher. 

My house in RL has 10ft ceilings on the first floor, 9 ft on the second.  My livingroom is sunken 1ft so it has 11ft high ceilings.  It is almost an exact reproduction of a circa 1740 Georgian style home in my state.  My house was built 90 years ago.

There are Victorian homes and modern condos that were built in converted warehouses and factories around here with even higher ceilings.

People prefer high ceilings because of the camera controls in SL.

If you have a house at the normal scale, it somehow feels clustrophobic.

However, people don't like oversized furniture, because they can see it is out of scale relative to their avatars.

Cunfusing ha? :matte-motes-evil-invert:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.