Fullbright question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

I have a question - I know it is bad to use fullbright for walls because of the midnight setting, but how do I get my walls to NOT look greyish if I don't use it?  Newbie builder here and want to do it right and eventually want to sell them, but can't figure out how to get my textures to still look white without fullbright.  I understand someway the lighting aspect of when you are doing this for yourself, but I need to have it look good (with whiter/lighter textures) when I sell it. 

I use a graphics program (paint shop) to create light shadows for the textures that I put on the walls and it looks great.  And then I put it on the building and it looks grey in Midday setting.  aaaarrrrgggggg!!!  If I click fullbright it looks perfect - but on Midnight setting it looks baddddddddddd........ 

If someone has any tutorials or ideas on an easy way to this to make the white/lighter textures show up properly on Midday/Midnight settings WITHOUT using fullbright I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Trenton

You are right about using full-bright on building walls is a bad, bad idea
The way you describe what you see makes me think that your graphics is set Low or Mid and your midday sun is set right above your head
With a higher graphics setting, that use advanced lighting things will look better
With a wind-light sun set to 9 am or 3 pm it will get even better
It is also possible to add specular and bump maps which can make the scenery even more real

When you don't know what you customers want you could give them the possibility to set full-bright on and off

Finally you may have a gamma-setting option in the graphics setting
With gamma you can change the mid-range luminance between high and low to match your taste better

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

When I make diffuse textures I always have them a bit brighter than how I want to see them as, if that makes sense.

That way when less than 100% diffuse lighting is applied they look perfect inworld.

It's something that takes time to get the right eye for. :matte-motes-stress:

It is important to understand that what YOU see is very likely NOT what others see. It all depends on how they have their Windlight settings. Some folks (new) just leave the default day on so yes it is important (well maybe -- depends on your customer base) to see how your build looks under the region default.

Most older folks have their Windlight setting(s) so that the world looks good. If they use shadows then they have settings for that. (The third party viewers have lots of settings that come with them and the third party viewers have a huge part of the viewer base.)

So the bottom line is that you have no way to control how your build looks. This is especially true with materials if you use them. They can look VERY bad under some lighting conditions so less is more in most cases. Oddly enough some oldtimers still seem to believe that everyone is seeing the world according to the land settings. Well SOME will, but plenty of folks have their own everyday Windlight favorites (stock or homemade).

So learn a bit more about how Windlight works (I think there is a Torley video (very old) on it). I made one on how shadows work but that isn't your issue. You will get a feel of things. It will still depend on your customers light settings. And yes, full bright walls SO BAD. LOL.  So you got THAT right *wink*.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.