Fullbright in Windowless Skyboxes, Yes or No

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Fullbright in Windowless Skyboxes, Yes or No?

I've serached it and read a few threads, but none form a consensus. Besides, I want my own ;)

I know the majority of builders cringe when they see full bright. But to my mind's eye, and my sense of reasoning it only makes sense in a windowless skybox. It allows me to control the shade and color of the build, so that all visitors see the same thing. What I intended them to see, when I created the build. It also helps me to match one prim texture into the next, as intended. It is a box after all. Why would there be sunlight or shadows inside it?

Tell me why I am wrong, or right. I think it looks beter, but feel like doing it is SL blaphemy. What's your take? Yes or no, & why? I'm talking skyboxes only here folks.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Aimes

Windlight affects day and night times irregardless whether or not there's windows. 
Personally I am not a fan of fullbright, because sometimes I like taking pictures at night time, and there's nothing worse than half of the objects in the room being darker to reflect that while the other half is full bright.

Also, owning a few windowless skyboxes I've added my own windows to the interrior with an animated snowfall texture. Just because it comes windowless doesn't mean it has to stay that way ;)

If you insist forcing that 'unatural' setting on someone though then please make your build mod so potential costumers can simply turn full bright off. Actually, all builds should be modable, the costumer base that will buy no-mod prefabs/skyboxes is extremely small.

Syn

Thanks for your kind reply and advice. I am learning slowly. Based on your advice and others I'll be moving away from using FB unless the prim is a light source such as a lamp or sign. Further research revelaed a few very informative threads on the matter. Thanks Again.

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/8/80/315991/1.html

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/general-sl-discussion/75367-whats-all-fullbright-haterrrzz.html

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Building-and-Texturing-Forum/Baking-shadow-in-normal-prims/td-p/1188061

I am not a fan of full bright except for vendor signs :D. I actually ship some of my surrounds with full bright off. They are mod of course as most everything I make so folks can turn FB on. In SL we have no real control over what others see. On some platforms there IS control. Here the best you can do is let folks decide what they want based on how THEY see things.

Of course visitor and friends may not see them the same way. That is the nature of things.   I suggest that using a low (very low) glow on your light sources may be more realistic than FB even for lamps. Some of those can be overkill also. Experiment, see what you like. Keep things mod.

I always edit everything I buy and remove fullbright.

If I cannot - most of the time I ditch the item. I only own a few items that have fullbright on them that I cannot remove. I think my home 'espresso machine' is one (and the moment I find a machine that has a nice animation for making a latte, that thing is getting tossed because of this).

I like to use windlight and I like to take pictures in my SL home... and fullbright ruins a lot of screenshots...

If you have a "control panel" could you use llSetPrimitiveParams so the user could toggle the fullbright?

I've mixed feelings on this because I have seen some places the effect was very nice but also understand how it can sometimes for some people be annoying.  Overall I do think it gets used a little too much in homes but it can have its place.

AimlessDrifter wrote:

Fullbright in Windowless Skyboxes, Yes or No?

I've serached it and read a few threads, but none form a consensus. Besides, I want my own
;)

I know the majority of builders cringe when they see full bright. But to my mind's eye, and my sense of reasoning it only makes sense in a windowless skybox. It allows me to control the shade and color of the build, so that all visitors see the same thing. What I intended them to see, when I created the build. It also helps me to match one prim texture into the next, as intended. It is a box after all. Why would there be sunlight or shadows inside it?

Tell me why I am wrong, or right. I think it looks beter, but feel like doing it is SL blaphemy. What's your take? Yes or no, & why? I'm talking skyboxes only here folks.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Aimes

The objects and avatars in a full bright skybox will still respond to the world lighting and will look really bad and out of place at night. Do. Not. Want.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.