Develop/Show Info/Show Texture Info

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I find myself working against the desire of the servers & viewers to show us less.  Like when they decide we don't need to see the texture in full detail.  Instead we get a fuzzy 1/4 or 1/16 version served up.  Dats super efficient.  Cuz now we can quickly not see things... well, anyway.  I'm trying to see what's being done by the viewer/server complex.  Show Texture Info sounded helpful so I turned it on.   

Here's a picture to show what it gives me:

texture info_001 crop.png

This could be helpful if I knew what these things meant.  So far I have the ID value is the start of the texture UUID.

I think that desired level is the level the viewer would show try to show you if it had its way.

Discard level is a mystery.  Missing?  idk.   v_size ... it's the size of something but what isn't clear.

Any explanations or links to explanations are appreciated.

I'm not sure how much help it is, but you might look at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Texture_Console

It's sort of like a fire hose of info, most of it incomprehensible to me.  Discard level, though, seems to be an analog to LOD, in the sense that it determines what level of detail is being displayed.  As that page says, "A discard level of 0 means the highest available detail version of the texture. Discard level 1 means the second highest detail version, which is 1/2 the size in each dimension (and thus 1/4 the memory footprint in memory)"

Edit:  Hehe...  Maddy reads faster than I do, and found more.  +1 to Maddy.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Go get some caffeine...

Thanks Madelaine.  I had looked at the Texture_Console item before.  It's find it hard to understand.  For now I'm going to guess that my Texture Info item that calls itself discard level is what the Texture_Console article calls current discard level.

Now I can see that when those levels are both  1 I'm not going to see my texture.  It's like it's not there.  But if I zoom in closer It will start to be there... in a blurred version. Crap... I'm not really seeing the texture info for the faces I'm interested in.  Right texture, wrong faces.  I've left out part of my story cuz I was trying to ask a simpler question.   I'll read a few days and then maybe come back with more.

Nothing is simple.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.