Best place to start with texture change huds

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello forum folks!

So I'm ready to start working in texture change huds into my products and I'm looking for some advice and/or recommendations. 

There are a lot of options available, some very complicated, some very simplistic. Where is the best place to start with selecting a script for a hud? Basically I would like to be able to change multiple faces on my mesh items, easy interface for the user, have it look professional and maybe be able to customize the hud to my brand colors and logo. 

Also are there any good tuts out there on creating your first hud? I'm a show me kinda learner so vids are always super helpful.

Do you have a recommendation for a script that you have had good luck with?

I was looking at this one, to be honest it looks a little scary..

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Professional-Texture-Changer-HUD-with-Advanced-Color-Picker/5553203

You gave me quite a shock there! 3750 Lindens for something as simple as a texture changer???

But then it turned out that script had a lot of other functions too so I guess it's all right after all. Definitely overkill if a texture changer is all you actually need though.

I can't give you any specific recommendations which script to buy. When I need a texture changer I just write one for the specific purpose myself.

Two things you should look for though:

1. Make sure it's a modern mono compiled script, not some oudated laggy freebie
  2. The textures should be stored as UUIDs, probably in a notecard configured so it can only be read by a script. If you can find a full perm script and know how to modify it, you can also use one that stores the UUIDs in the script itself. Do not use a script that require the textures to be included with the item.

insilvermoonlight wrote:

Another question I came up with is, should a texture change script be compatible with other scripts, for example Avsitter? Or does it matter?

Ideally you want all script functions in an object merged into a single script but if you rely on standard scripts rather than custom ones that's not always an option of course.

In theory Avsitter and a texture changer HUD might interfere but only if they both have listen handles open at the same time and use the same chat channel and the same command strings. The odds against that happening is astronomical.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.