Are there special conditions for floating buildings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As  long as you don't make the ghastly mistake of setting your building physical, it will stay right where you put it, resisting all attempts to move it and defying gravity.  Rez your building on the ground, grab it, and lift it as high as you like -- up to 4000m -- and it will be happy.

cibernut wrote:

Just wondering if there are special conditions for floating buildings. I ask as I discovered one the other day that you could only access by flying up to it.

Also note if Teleport Routing is set you may have trouble teleporting to a Skybox even if you have the LM.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-parcel/ta-p/700113#Section_.7.2

Rolig Loon wrote:

As  long as you don't make the
ghastly

hilarious
mistake of setting your building physical, it will stay right where you put it, resisting all attempts to move it and defying gravity.  Rez your building on the ground, grab it, and lift it as high as you like -- up to 4000m -- and it will be happy.

;-).

cibernut wrote:

Thanks, that was the sort of info I was looking for
;)
 How do you mean 'setting your building physical'?  Do you mean like adding some sort of script to make it move?  Not that I'd want it to move...

Experiment sometime.  When you rez an object and select it with your Build/Edit tool, you'll see that the Object page has a check box labelled Physical.  It is normally unchecked.  That means the object is inert.  A script can move it around, and you can move it around with your Build/Edit tool, but otherwise it just sits there.  Bump into it, and it's an immovable obstacle. If you click that Physical box, though, it responds to forces around it.  Bump it, and it moves.  Remove whatever was under it and it drops under the influence of gravity.  If you are feeling giddy, you stand in a high place with a handful of non-physical objects, waiting for some unsuspecting slob to walk under you.  Then you turn the objects physical and pelt the unfortunate schnook with them.  Of course, I would never do that myself, but I know someone who would.  :smileytongue:

cibernut wrote:

It could have high stairs or an elevator but the one I found didn't have either, so the only way you could get to it was by flying or TPing.

Exactly. 

This is what you do. Put the house on the ground and stand inside. Change the Z position (in the Object tab of Edit) to whatever height you want.  It will disappear and zoom up out of sight.  Rez a cube and sit on it.  Change the Z position of the cube to the same as the house.  You wil find yourself inside the house, where you can make a LM or set it to home.

• Like 1

Your questions are about the very basics in SL building so it all would come natural if you learned that first
The knowledge base has many if not all the information you need to build with prims and manipulate builds
You may find: How to move a build, interesting

There are many places in world with building tutorials, say the sandbox on Help Island Public

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Rolig Loon wrote:

As  long as you don't make the
ghastly

hilarious
mistake of setting your building physical, it will stay right where you put it, resisting all attempts to move it and defying gravity.  Rez your building on the ground, grab it, and lift it as high as you like -- up to 4000m -- and it will be happy.

;-).

When I was new and didn't know what that setting was for I did exactly that.  It was a, "I wonder what this setting does moment."

The platform crashed into the giant Mall in the next SIM.

Fortunately it was very late at night and no one was in the Mall or the carnage would have been horrible.

I really wish now I had grabbed a screen shot.  In retrospect it was hilarious.

But I quickly deleted the thing and logged out thinking I might get in trouble for what I had just done.

Rolig Loon wrote:

As  long as you don't make the ghastly mistake of setting your building physical,

I once made that mistake (not knowing any better at that time). I decided to add some prims to a boat I had bought. Well, first of all I made the boat physical (no idea why). And then... I unlinked it.

BOOM!  :smileysurprised: :smileyfrustrated: :smileylol:

All the prims were scattered all over the sea bottom. Some prims even went under the sea bottom itself. It took me about fifteen minutes to locate and delete every piece - 32 of them.

Coby Foden wrote:

Rolig Loon wrote:

As  long as you don't make the ghastly mistake of setting your building physical,

I once made that mistake (not knowing any better at that time). I decided to add some prims to a boat I had bought. Well, first of all I made the boat physical (no idea why). And then... I unlinked it.

BOOM!
  :smileysurprised: :smileyfrustrated: :smileylol:

All the prims were scattered all over the sea bottom. Some prims even went under the sea bottom itself. It took me about fifteen minutes to locate and delete every piece - 32 of them.

The next time you're going to make that "mistake", invite me to watch.

Must have been a nightmare.  On the topic of unlinked, I think my AV somehow got unlinked yesterday in that natural history museum, or more probably part of the museum became unlinked or so it seemed.  I had entered one of the exhibit areas only to find that my AV wasn't walking on the floor, it was sort of walking in the air - I was not in flying mode...

Pandora Wrigglesworth's Curio Obscura store has a collection of marvelous teleportation devices (the Anywhere series) that would be perfect for moving between part of a skybox...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/21091?search%5Bcategory_id%5D=231

She's got an in-world store, where you can try out the Anywhere devices. It's a wonderful place to visit.

The forum's lovely and talented Rolig Loon, who's not as dumb as she looks, also has teleportation doors...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Magic-Door-Teleporter/2749996

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.