You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
New Resident
Sidra Winx

Second Life with windows 7 64 bit

So I have been trying to get back in world for months now since I my windows xp pc went down.  I now have a new PC running windows 7 64bit and I can not get anywhere with the Second Life client.  I have been searching the web and saw that so many people say they are using windows 7 64bit to run second life.  Is this really possible and how can I do this also?  I really don't want to leave Second life but it seem inevitable.  I am not Tech-savvy so please explain to me like I am a 2 year old if this is indeed possible.  Thanks 

New Resident
Sidra Winx

Re: Second Life with windows 7 64 bit

Reply to Sidra Winx - view message

Just to add a bit of info:  OS windows 7 , 64bit, Graphic card: Intel 945 chipset.

Honored Resident
Bry Baxton

it should just install like any other program. windows 7 64 bit recognizes 32 bit or 64 bit programs and puts them in the correct directory. So a little more about why it is not installing would help. Are you getting error msgs? If so, what are they? give as much detail as possible right down to the system and specs of the computer you are installing it on(make, model, chipset, video card, CPU etc)

just read your update. and I think I have hit on your problem. SL hates the onboard intel video and has lots of issues with it. I have a laptop with  a nVidia card and I run it without issue.

Eon Peterson

Hi Sidra . Yes it is very possible to run SL with Windows 7 64-bit... I use it myself. But I'm afraid you will need to be a lot more explicit about the problems you're having with it before you can expect any help. Can you make a list of the problems you're having? How far do you get before 'problems' arise?

"If music be the food of love, play on" ~ Twelfth Night
"If love be the food of music, bring it on" ~ Eon Peterson
Topics: 17
Solutions: 1

Just off hand without knowing anything else, the Intel 945 graphics card is minimum for the Second Life viewer. http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

*at the bottom under exceptions

I'd want to make sure the video drivers are the latest and greatest.

Hitomi Tiponi
Topics: 9
Solutions: 0

If you have a desktop pc then you should get another graphics card and plug it in (an easy matter) - even a card costing 50 US dollars should improve your experience. SL does not work well with onboard graphics - it will work with the Intel 945 chipset but not very well.

Starlight - a brighter future for Viewer 3 and TPVs

Honored Resident
Chris Mammoth

You probably want this - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226782&C=Froogle&U=226782&T=Module

I've been using Win 7 64 bit since it came out and with all its enhancements running I doubt very much your onboard graphics stand a chance of doing anything other than overheating. I use the card above and SL runs fine with most of the setting pushed up. The way SL works makes it very intensive graphically and its well worth spending on a decent GPU to see the world in all its glory. Don't worry about being tech savvy these cards are simple to install and come with clear instructions. If you want to spend less consider the older 9400gt/9500gt models they still do the job well.

Hope this helps

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/44027

Wild West Supplies
New Resident
Sidra Winx

thanks so much for all your responses.  From your responses I think I will have to work a bit more on my video card issues and see where that takes me.  Also,  I am currently at work so I was not able to be more specific on the error message I was getting.  I will update the info when I get home.  Thanks again.

Topics: 18
Solutions: 1

Sidra Winx wrote:

Just to add a bit of info:  OS windows 7 , 64bit, Graphic card: Intel 945 chipset.

There is an Intel 945 'Intel Extreme' graphics driver for Windows 7 . http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18228&ProdId=2115&lang=eng However I do not recommend the Intel Extreme graphics chip for Second Life as it does not handle 3D rendering very well. At best you'll experience sub 10-fps 'slideshow' perfprmance. Buy yourself a mid-range grafix card and all will be well. I use an Nvidia GT220, which is low-end by today's standards, and have no problems whatsoever.

BTW, my computer O/S is Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

It's out of this world! Let's go interplanetary!
Bandcamp ---Songeist --- Facebook --- MySpace --- Mystery Creations on SL Marketplace --- Alazarin's Website